Best electronics for Erie trolling?

Hello Eyeliner. Are you planning on staying with Lowrance?  You should check out the new advancements from Raymarine. The A, C and E series are all incredible units outfitted with various options. The new Axiom has just been released last month. It includes 3D down imaging, simply incredible. Best regards, WaveTamer Sportfishing, Capt Don Ruppert

I would like to see you guys weigh in on this one please. How many of you are utilizing side scan technology on your units to locate walleyes? Does it work well in our deeper NY water? If you do, how would you rate it's necessity on your boat? "Wouldn't leave home without it"? Or seems to help sometimes? I don't have it yet myself, and am curious what your thoughts & experiences are. Thanks for your feedback

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Hello Eyeliner. Are you planning on staying with Lowrance?  You should check out the new advancements from Raymarine. The A, C and E series are all incredible units outfitted with various options. The new Axiom has just been released last month. It includes 3D down imaging, simply incredible. Best regards, WaveTamer Sportfishing, Capt Don Ruppert

Questions on the axiom. I was also upgrading to new unit and replacing an he's unit. Was looking at the raymarine but need a thru hull ducer being a 27 ft Sportcraft single screw and not sure if airmar has one available for the unit yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Ten Percent said:

I would like to see you guys weigh in on this one please. How many of you are utilizing side scan technology on your units to locate walleyes? Does it work well in our deeper NY water? If you do, how would you rate it's necessity on your boat? "Wouldn't leave home without it"? Or seems to help sometimes? I don't have it yet myself, and am curious what your thoughts & experiences are. Thanks for your feedback

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I do use my sidescan to locate walleyes in open water.  I pretty much always have it up no matter where I am fishing.  Its amazing what you find and learn about the bottom of the lake.  Now it doesn't work at speeds much about 5-6mph for searching like your sonar does.  Sidescan really does a good job of showing what the bottom is and seeing fish snug up to the bottom.  Now, for deeper NY water, I personally would still have it up displayed, but I wouldn't rate it as a 'won't leave home without it'.   Shallower water less than 35' structure fishing or in rivers, a definitely 'won't leave home without it.'

The first screen shot shows a bottom transition with a bunch of fish on the transition snug to the bottom.

The second screen shot shows what suspended fish look like out off to the side.  You wouldn't have seen these on your 2d sonar.

Both of these shots were from Erie.  Hope this helps!

shot011.png

shot009.png

Edited by ryanbuddie
  • Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics