harness storage

I use the noodles but I just saw a thing at the Niag. show. It is a flat piece of stuff(foam) like the 1/2" foam that you use to stand on a concrete floor by a work bench like Harbor fright sells in 2'x2' pieces but this was maybe 8"x12" .  It had slots cut in both edges & you stuck the hooks in the foam & wrapped the leader around the foam in the slots. I think you started with the loop of the leader in the slot & finished it off sticking the hooks in where they ended up. They you can stack them flat.

• Like 2

CSH - I do not have these...sorry.  I saw them at the Niagara show.  The picture is from the Amish Outfitters website...

The pins they are referring to in the product description are what is used to hold the loop of the walleye harnesses in place.  You will get 24 pins (they literally looked like a long staple that you pushed into the foam)...12 per foam board.  You can also buy more of these pins on their website.

--Joe

I thought maybe you had already bought them Joe but that's ok, their website is pretty detailed.  It is an interesting concept and worth exploring.  Allows one to take a quick peak at the tray and pads to see where that harness is for the moment.  I think I'm going to get some and give it a try.  Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 2

I just called AO to ask for more information on the Mega Crawler Harness Caddy.  Both this and the regular Crawler Harness Caddy that you describe above use the 7 1/2" X 13" X 3/4" pad.  The Mega CHC is using the Plano 708 and as described that holds six pads.  It just so happens that I have some of the 708 trays already so I'm just going to buys the pads and pins from them.  Will let you guys know how it works out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nalod said:

Lineman - Is this what you were referring to?  The Amish Outfitters Crawler Harness Caddy?

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99&zenid=5b57dd64d8262cf515737984af4f0137

--Joe

100_0971.JPG

This is the same idea but the foam was more solid like the pads you stand on as I said above.  Also I use short golf tees to hold the harness loops on my noodles,( short roofing nails work too) & keep them in one of those plastic milk containers on the boat.  You could also use a deep container of the correct size to store them flat in maybe from the dollar tree. 

I have the harness caddy shown in the picture and it works great.  The loose end opposite the hooks is held on with a U shaped pin that you stick in the backside of the foam thus holding the loop end in place.  The box comes with a couple xtra pins also.  You can also break a small paper clip in half and use one of the halves just like the pins that are included with the box.  I had some extra flat foam that I cut to the same size as the foam in the box and was able to fit a third foam pad in the smaller box for more harnesses.

• Like 2

I used to use the noodles and stick the hooks in the foam and attach the loop end using long crown staples from my air stapler. Just break the staples down into singles and stick a bunch of them in the end of the noodle until u need one. When u put a harness on the pole just put the staple back into the end of the noodle until you break down your rods at the end of the day. Problem with noodles is they take up a lot of room, so I only use them to store my leaders now. Crown staple thru each swivel to keep them tight. Find a wood worker friend who has a crown stapler, and get stick of inch and a half long  staples, and break them into singles.

Now I use a Browning "Goliath" binder that I bought at Bass Pro Shop years ago. It has heavy plastic pocket pages that zip closed. Holds tons of harness's and it's compact. I would do the same for salmon tinsel flies but I only own a dozen or so, as I fish walleye more than salmon. Since I only own 10 or 12, I store them in plastic tubes and keep them in a plastic ammo box (Gander Mountain) with my spin doctors and only put that box in the boat before heading 4 Lake O.

• Like 2

I use Foam plumbing pipe insulation from Lowe's or Home Depot and other places.  I've used it for harnesses but it's really good for leaders. It isn't as big around as noodles and it has a slit down the length that comes in real handy to shove one end (snap swivel) in and you can pin the other end like with a noodle.  Plus, it's cheap. a 6' piece that's made to go around 1" diameter pipe is like a buck fifty and you can cut it to any length to fit your storage box. A Plano 3731 box is ideal.  

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics