Sturgeon Point (SP) 2017

Sturgeon Point (SP) 2017

From what I hear the sand bar across the opening of SP(only about a3 ft. opening) is pretty much closed off due to the sand. With the town of Evans being bankrupt, SP will most likely not be open very early if at all in the spring of 2017 having no $$$ to dredge it out. I am thinking we early perch guys may have to get on the bar & dig it out ourselves!  We will have to all get together with our shovels on a day & dig us a 4-6 ft. wide trench across the bar!  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but where is the money from the launch ramps  ? I always assumed the money for launching paid for stuff like this  any ideas on what could be done to stop this from happening its a shame that such a nice harbor has this problem ... you can count on me for some manual labor if it comes down to that !!!

• Like 1

Shinintimes, I don't think that is a bad question. I wonder that myself!  I am sure it is in some one's pocket.  One has to wonder what happened to all their launch money & the money they got from the state & fed. gov't. already??  As far as digging it by hand I don't even know if that is feasible at all. I was sort of kidding when I wrote it , but maybe if there were enough people it could be done? I would think for every shovel full taken out 2 would come back in.  Maybe the state would take it over with some of Cuomo's Buffalo Billion!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Locoman said:

Money for dredging should come from the state. We can't afford to lose a launch site. There aren't enough on Erie as it is.

I think we have 8 launches on Erie & I believe Ontario has 30+  but they do have a longer shore line. I think there should be a launch at Evangola St. & Lake Erie  parks. Every thing is there except a launch!  Road ,parking, lights, restrooms.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, lineman49 said:

I think we have 8 launches on Erie & I believe Ontario has 30+  but they do have a longer shore line. I think there should be a launch at Evangola St. & Lake Erie  parks. Every thing is there except a launch!  Road ,parking, lights, restrooms.

Maybe Jimski will chime in on this subject. He's been vocal about access for a long time. Has been pushing for a launch on Smokes Creek to no avail. Maybe Chad could move this thread to the Open Lake board where I'm sure it would get more views and opinions. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lineman49 said:

Shinintimes, I don't think that is a bad question. I wonder that myself!  I am sure it is in some one's pocket.  One has to wonder what happened to all their launch money & the money they got from the state & fed. gov't. already??  As far as digging it by hand I don't even know if that is feasible at all. I was sort of kidding when I wrote it , but maybe if there were enough people it could be done? I would think for every shovel full taken out 2 would come back in.  Maybe the state would take it over with some of Cuomo's Buffalo Billion!

Ha Ha  lineman I knew the answer before I asked the question.. seems like my money is always going into someone else's pocket :emoticon-0179-headbang:

I started on the Erie Lackawanna.Then Conrail was formed in 1976. Finished on CSX. Came up through the ranks from laborer to managing the locomotive operations in Buffalo. Spent 2 years in the Operations Center in Jacksonville Fla. Still have my house there. Going back soon. Came up for the holidays. Stayed here too long but I enjoy seeing my kids and grandson. Coming up on my 3 year anniversary of retirement. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

A ramp without a break wall is pretty useless on Lake Erie. You might be able to use it when lake is dead flat, but how often does that happen? I doubt the town of Evans will give up the Average $1000 a year they get from slip holders because they don't want to dredge out the sand bar. I was a slip holder there for about 10 years, and they dredged out the harbor every spring when I was there.

• 2 years later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics