Different speeds for different baits

pap

I was wondering on Erie what speeds do you run harneses, As a general rule of thumb. Then when you mix sticks into the play, I assume you bump up your speed. Most of what I read and hear is the dipsy is the go to way of getting lures and harnesses down. I would assume snap weights are used also. What about spoons, I fished the western basin and the Port Clinton area,which I liked both areas, two entirely different ways of fishing. One year was a jig bite close to shore, the next year they were coming off the jig bite and were hitting worm harneses. Port Clinton was worm harneses and Michigan stinger spoons. So my question is with the different lures what is the general rule of speeds for harneses, then sticks and last but not least spoons? One other thing is color, what's the common color that guys out there prefer. I'd like to know a few so I can prepare myself for June. Thanks for any help I would really appreciate that!! PAP.

For colors we do well with chartreuse, firetiger, nuclear green, metallic green,  purple, black & purple, nuclear black, these colors work well for harnesses, spoons & stick baits. We also do well with small stinger spoons in copper confusion, copper/orange, some days silver/blue .  Our speeds vary depending on water temps. depths, & time of year. This is Jmo. but it works for us. (at times) lol.  I'm sure others will chime in here.

When I'm trolling real close to shore, like off Smokes, I'll use my electric & troll at 1 to 1-1/2 mph with a Colorado.  I found my catch rate to go way up once I stopped using the kicker & switched to the electric.  If I'm deeper, I'll use the kicker & have found that 2-1/2 is a good place to start.  With faster speeds I'll also switch to willow leafs (willow leaves?)

Pap snaps will work just fine, early season I run 1.5 ish #3-4Colorado and sticks...later in the year when the water warms up and the fish get deeper I like 1.8-2 and run more hatchet blades,  whiptails and #4-5 colorados. Always a mix of sticks and harnesses so speeds the same for both. Colors I always put out first are black/purple fire tiger copper/watermelon or orange, blue/silver, black chartruse stripe

Thanks flybuster, that's a bunch of good info, I'm going to have to get me some hatchet blades. The last time I was out the western end guys introduced me to the hatchet blades, so I guess they work. I was kind of having mixed thoughts about them, old school I guess you could say. Thanks again for your input!! pap.

• 3 weeks later...

We go out mid summer every year. Last year we started using harnesses and sticks together but then bagged the harnesses completely in favor of just sticks.  We didn't have to mess with worms and we were running about 3.0 so we covered more water as well.  We caught a bunch of fish so I guess it worked.  Colors were kind of all over. The usual's, fire tiger, black /purple, but also caught fish on white and root beer.

I would do that Justin, but every year I took a charter out on Erie they fish harneses with a #5 hammered "gold" blade, and the eastern guys praise the harneses also, but one thing differant is most guys run the hatchet blade. I never had any luck with the hatchet blades. After the spawn till about the third week of June I switch to stick baits and spoon, with a #5 blade you can run 2.5mph then I run a mix of  2 1/4" spoons and super slims. Last year I had good luck with R&R tackle,  Rocker spoons, for as looks they are about the most unorthodox lure I ever saw, they do catch eyes.  The orange with black dots, and the frog colors just plane catch fish. Everything has a place and a time. Good luck this year. With your charter business. I hope you have a successful year.  PAP!!

1 hour ago, tlr426 said:

Hi guys new to the board and walleye fishing. Are you guys referring to your down speed or your sog? Are the currents in Erie as bad as ontario?

First welcome aboard tlr426, in my conversation I'm referring to speed over land. Once I start to fish deeper than 30ft I'll use a probe, I just got the 2nd gen of the hawk, just speed and temp. Would love to have Smart Troll, but I'll run this as it was given to me. Good luck this season, and tight lines to all.

Im new to Erie, but my walleye trolling is done on water where currents are seldom a factor. I run a probe for temp and use downspeed because its easier to see than my graph! I mentioned to DJ a couple years ago when he was on my boat that I wasnt a big fan of harnesses, though not because they dont work for me, just prefer hardbaits.....the faster the better! Of course you do what you have to to catch, but thats where I start. Just about anything Rapala makes will run well at faster speeds which makes them pair well with spoons...as opposed to just about anything from Reef Runner which are at at their best slow which makes them pair nicely with harnesses.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics