New to leadcore.

I can tell you whats worked for me ... 18 pound sufix leadcore with a 50 foot 12 pound seaguar fluorocarbon leader (red label) I did have a couple snap-offs and may try 15 pound this year you can find this on amazon and the knots you will use are on youtube ... I hope to see more posts on this just to see what leaders other more seasoned guys are using                 Good Luck !!     Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I use 100 feet of 20 lb Seaguar attached with a double willis knot to the lead. That way if you get nicks by the lure, you cut off 3 feet and retie. Willis knot allows you to get thru the rod and level wind mechanism easy. Biggest hassel with lead core is having enough reels to have 3 color 5 color 7 color 10 color etc etc. Good news is you don't need line counters. I keep extra loaded reels without rods in the cabin of my boat and just switch out to the rod as the season  progresses and you need more colors. If  you only fish lead, (no jets in the mix) then I fish 3, 5 and 7 colors on one side of the boat and 4, 6 and 8 on the other side. I never mix jets and lead on the same side of the boat. You will eventually get a massive tangle if you mix. Heaviest lead nearest the boat of course to allow the shallower lines to cross over the deep ones without tangles.

Check out Stealth Core at Fish USA. A very successful walleye captain on Lake Erie developed this. We use it on Lake Ontario and love it, and I've tried most other brands. Typically, Walleye don't pull much drag, so I'm guessing 150yds of 30lb braid will work just fine for backing. 25'-50' flouro leader between the core and the lure.

Edited by Yankee Troller

• 4 weeks later...

I run the okumo convector 30 reels and stealth core 18# lead core,  700' braid backing, 5 colors stealth cores, 40' leaders.

been using stealth core for several years and no issues with this line..

i have 6 rods set with 5 colors and if i need to be deeper i just add weights,  I run the side all the same and you wont get tangles

Edited by Reel Overtime

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lineman49 said:

Is there a difference in the sink rate between 18#,  27# , & 36# test line or does the line poundage have nothing to do with the sink rate ? 

18 to 36 # use the same amount of lead so the difference is in the pound test with that being said you should get a better sink rate with less dacron ( less drag ).. Hope this helps

Stop up to the Ultimate Outdoors of WNY booth at the Western New York Sport and Travel Expo in Hamburg march 9-12, and I can sit down and go over lead core presentations with you. 75% of our program is lead core for all tournaments and charters. we run Woodstock and and some Blood Run lead core. I don't necessarily buy into the whole stealth core thinking, as we run 50 to 75 foot leaders on our leadcore lines. I'm thinking the fish aren't seeing the lead core anyways so no need for a "camo" presentation. 99% of the fish we catch on the Water Wolf underwater camera come in from behind the bait. Out of hundreds of hours of footage we have, 1 fish and 1 fish only came in from the front. I don't run fluorocarbon either just 15 lb Berkley big game. Our numbers don't really change with either line, so no reason in my opinion  to spend the money on the flouro. Not to mention that it isn't as invisible as most people think it is. This pic is from 130 feet of water off Vanbueren reef fishing for Lake Trout. This leader is 15lb 100% fluorocarbon Seagur in the red box. So you can form your own opinion on the flouro debate. 

vlcsnap-2017-02-20-16h04m01s077.png

• Like 2

I use fluoro a lot for centerpinning..... it's a different application, but bear with me....... I've experimented on several days with fluoro and differing line diameters. Normally, I'm using 6 or 8 lb fluoro for leader material. One day when the "normal" bite stopped I dropped down to 2 lb fluoro leader (that's all I had lighter than 6) and the bite immediately took off again...... problem was I couldn't land any fish..... so they wouldn't hit a 6 lb fluoro leader, but would hit a 2....... so I think they can see "something" even with fluoro...... maybe its light reflection....... but they see something.

It's also interesting that the vast majority of walleyes come from behind....... I'm guessing that they don't see much of the front of the blade, only the cup color. Maybe the cup color/shape is way more important than I've been giving it credit for......????

9 hours ago, J. Sparrow said:

I use fluoro a lot for centerpinning..... it's a different application, but bear with me....... I've experimented on several days with fluoro and differing line diameters. Normally, I'm using 6 or 8 lb fluoro for leader material. One day when the "normal" bite stopped I dropped down to 2 lb fluoro leader (that's all I had lighter than 6) and the bite immediately took off again...... problem was I couldn't land any fish..... so they wouldn't hit a 6 lb fluoro leader, but would hit a 2....... so I think they can see "something" even with fluoro...... maybe its light reflection....... but they see something.

It's also interesting that the vast majority of walleyes come from behind....... I'm guessing that they don't see much of the front of the blade, only the cup color. Maybe the cup color/shape is way more important than I've been giving it credit for......????

stop by our booth ill show you guys some of the clips its pretty cool. I also will play some in the seminar.

4 hours ago, Puking Dog said:

Can you explain what we are looking at in the picture? I get the leader but what are the 2 blobs behind it ?

A fish and a harness ? A stick bait and a fish ? A fish and a flasher ?

Cool picture regardless

your looking at a lake trout coming in to hit a spoon off a downrigger. video was filmed off vanbuern reef on june 11 2015.

We keep our leads 15 to 20 ft and use stealth core with flouro carbon leaders as light as possible. I switched to stealth core and love it. I think it makes a differences. One of the plus to stealth core is the 1000 yard bulk spools. If we are trying to be stealthy we run a rainbow of neon colors through the water column. We even tie our sticks directly to the stick using a rapala knot. 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics