Walleye Anyone catching Walleye in western basin

• 6 months later...

Didn't get to go, greg2ha.  That post was last fall and the weather wasn't good. I've never fished Erie in the fall and wanted to give it a try.

Getting everything ready to start trips next month. Usually fish April through July.

All winter long Huron, Ohio anglers have been taking limits of large walleye in the open water this winter. Trolling stickbaits with 2 oz. weights clipped on at various lengths off side planers at speeds of .7 to 1.0 MPH. Clear waters are found out to several miles off shore produced. Check out the reports at "Ohio Game Fishing site, Lake Erie reports" forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bluefin,  I use Aurora Lites in the mid size.  I really like them, they pull pretty hard and stay out beside the boat. They also fold up nicely to store.  Having said that, If I had it to do over, I'm being told there are some other brands out there that equal the AL's at much lower prices, and I'd check them out.  I also just bought a couple sets of OR-12's thinking they'll be easier to use if there are only two of us on the boat.  Whether you use inlines or big boards, it's kinda like pickup trucks, everybody you talk to is going to tell you something else is better.

• Like 1

They were getting eyes trolling around the cans, at least last weekend (Sunday April 2) the water temp was 40 degrees, using shorter leads on the Bandits & Khaki at 25 back, speeds between 1.5-1.8 mph. But that was then, today winds gusting at 48 kt, waves 4-5 ft. Tomorrows forecast not much better; 23-26 kt, decreasing to 17-20 kt in the afternoon waves 3-4 ft., the Western Basin will look like chocolate milk, it will take days to clear up.

• Like 1

They were getting eyes trolling around the cans, at least last weekend (Sunday April 2) the water temp was 40 degrees, using shorter leads on the Bandits & Khaki at 25 back, speeds between 1.5-1.8 mph. But that was then, today winds gusting at 48 kt, waves 4-5 ft. Tomorrows forecast not much better; 23-26 kt, decreasing to 17-20 kt in the afternoon waves 3-4 ft., the Western Basin will look like chocolate milk, it will take days to clear up.

They are getting them on Hair Jigs between Turtle Island and the Light House my kids are killing that,i hope first trip is Friday I'll probably troll

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

They are getting them on Hair Jigs between Turtle Island and the Light House my kids are killing that,i hope first trip is Friday I'll probably troll

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I will be in that area for 1 full week starting April 22nd. Jigging & trolling. If anyone is also there then and wants to team up, let me know...we usually do well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

We fished last weekend out of Fenwick cone reef. Crane reef did well in the rough weather conditions we had four to five footers on Friday purple green pink hair jigs did the work tipped with large saltys I dipped in the river. John

Sent from my VS986 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Nice job Yellow...we leave Sat..can hardly wait

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics