Perch Perch

A Canadian commercial fisherman told me one time they suspend up there because the dissolved oxygen content is too
Low but they drop down occasionally during the day to feed in the mud for the critters that are there. It is better to find them where the thermocline and bottom intersect. Should find some at 60 to 65 foot so start searching there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

The migration of Lake Erie's perch to the shallow waters of eastern lake waters begins with the falling water temperatures. The gap of nine miles between Sturgeon Point and Point Abino in Canada concentrates the perch schools from the sixty mile width mid lake distances. Further note the perch feed mainly in the mud bottom rather than the shale rock bottom area further narrow travel lane. Start looking at your graph at fifty plus feet for them. The currents in the lake increase rapidly in the area so depressions on the bottom hold perch avoiding the currents. That is why some boats are catching while others crowd them and still are unsuccessful. Your anchor position shifts with wind changes and you
Lose the fish. The lake is like a river through there as air pressure changes move a lot of water up and down the lake. good luck and remember perch filets are selling for twenty dollars a pound now. Take care of your catch using ice and those small ones are better "eaters" than the sixteen inchers you brag about

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Thank you Jimski2 great info! I would like to add another step just as important as putting your perch in a cooler on ice, is to bleed them as soon as you unhook them. I keep a pair of those small spring loaded garden scissors in the boat to make it quick and easy to just snip a gill. No blood in or on the fillet makes for a night and day difference in taste. Also eliminates having to wash the fillets off with water if you keep something by you to wipe your knife off on before you cut out the rib cage and skin. Having a water and ice mix in your cooler makes it easier to clean at the end of the day, just dump it out no dried blood and spray some simple green in there and wipe dry.

Today started out bad. Drove the 80 miles to Ferry street only to find the emerald missing. One alien guy had a few and said there were only a few small schools that came and went. We were there before dawn. The guy at Big Catch told me the same thing. I would not count on them showing up in any catchable numbers any time soon.

Bought golden and hit the Cat. we were the only ones perching. Looked over an hour from 60 to 78 and finally found a few 7.1 miles NE heading out of the Cat in 78' Very close to where all the guys were trolling. Only got 28, but better day than I thought it would be.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics