Opinion/Experience with Tuff-Line Micro Lead Core or Suffix Advanced Lead Core 832

mike m.

Been using traditional LC for many years. Mason,Cortland,Stealth core all pretty much the same. Dacron I believe is what they use to cover the lead. Its thick line and takes a big reel to set up a 10,8,or 7 color with 30 lb power pro backer. Tuff-Line Micro and Suffix Advanced LC use material similar to Power Pro for the sheating covering  the lead. Like Power Pro its thiner and stronger. Suffix advanced LC claims it gets 30% deeper then traditioal LC.  Anyone have experience with these 2 LC lines ??  I have alot of rod/reel combos set up with traditional LC.  Have 4-10color,4-7color,6-5color.  To make the switch will cost some $$$. BTW we pull mostly stick baits with inline boards for Eyes between Buffalo and Dunkirk. Any opinions/experience ?? Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the Tuff line Micro lead for a few years.  Here is my opinion.  Pros are you can use a smaller reel for long cores.  Put it on a high speed reel and a 10 color isn’t a problem for inexperienced anglers.  Cons are you can’t use a Willis knot/overhand Chinese finger as diameter is tough to work with.  I use Tuff line micros on my 10 colors on Daiwa 50  and double uniknot to connect.  I use Stealth core for all my shorter lead core setups.  I think I tried one spool of Suffix and didn’t see any great difference to standard leadcore.  Been using the Tuff line and Stealth core for probably 3 years or more.  No issues.

Thanks for your reply. I did talk to Jake Romanack and couple other captains at Niagara Fishing expo. They use Tuff line Micro LC and highly recommend it.As far as the leader knot goes I stopped using the insertion knot a couple years ago. The VQ knot is a lot easier and never failed me. You can find it on Youtube under Vision Quest Sport Fishing. My 10 colors right now are on Penn 330's with 30lb power pro backer.  Do think I could drop down to a Daiwa 47H switching to the Tuff Line micro LC. Could I get enough backer on a 47H ??

A Daiwa 47 is small for a 10 color Micro lead.  I used to use Penn 330’s years ago on my ten colors and a Daiwa Saltist 50 with Micro lead fishes so much easier even for inexperienced charter clients.  For less bucks than a Saltist, Daiwa 57LC’s are an option.  I use 57’s with 250 Walleye Copper and intermediate cores over 5 colors.  I feel for a reel to work right that you need a fair amount of backer plus running back and off boards takes out more line.  Thanks for tip on that knot- always have to look to tweak your setups. You might have talked to me at Niagara Show as I worked some in Innovative Outdoors booth and explained difference in Tuff Line Microlead and regular leadcore to a number of people.

• 10 months later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics