First time to Erie

Harlan

I'm trying to plan my first trip this april to the west basin and honestly dont even know where to start. I have my own boat so I'm looking for a place to stay for a  few days with parking for the boat near a good boat ramp hopefully. And also looking for some areas to get me started fishing. Thank you for any advice you are willing to give.

10 hours ago, Harlan said:

I'm trying to plan my first trip this april to the west basin and honestly dont even know where to start. I have my own boat so I'm looking for a place to stay for a  few days with parking for the boat near a good boat ramp hopefully. And also looking for some areas to get me started fishing. Thank you for any advice you are willing to give.

I can't really help you on jig fishing the western basin because when I fished it we didn't start until memorial weekend for our season. but have made a few trips around the middle of may and did good trolling cranks. I have only been jig fishing 1 time with a friend that fished it. but the fishing can be hot early jig fishing, but some guy's troll cranks at certain places and do well. are you set up to troll with rod holders? when we started trolling, we just flat lined and used 2 down riggers and 2 outriggers. we ran 2 9' rods straight out the side 2 straight back off each corner 2 16' outriggers straight out the sides 2 downriggers at a 45-degree angle back and set at different depths depending on the fish. our hot baits were hot n tots and wiggle warts and any diving crank we had. but now I think bandit and husky jerks are used by most. but they didnt have those cranks back then, plus we caught fish using the hot n tots and wiggle warts.

welcome to Lake Erie and a hobby that can run into a lot of money. oh, yea when we trolled, we just used spinning gear.

19 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I can't really help you on jig fishing the western basin because when I fished it we didn't start until memorial weekend for our season. but have made a few trips around the middle of may and did good trolling cranks. I have only been jig fishing 1 time with a friend that fished it. but the fishing can be hot early jig fishing, but some guy's troll cranks at certain places and do well. are you set up to troll with rod holders mistakes people make when shopping online ?when we started trolling, we just flat lined and used 2 down riggers and 2 outriggers. we ran 2 9' rods straight out the side 2 straight back off each corner 2 16' outriggers straight out the sides 2 downriggers at a 45-degree angle back and set at different depths depending on the fish. our hot baits were hot n tots and wiggle warts and any diving crank we had. but now I think bandit and husky jerks are used by most. but they didnt have those cranks back then, plus we caught fish using the hot n tots and wiggle warts.

It wasn't a bad catch.

Early season Lake Erie fishing is easy if you simplify and target yellow Perch The Cattaraugus Creek area has several boat ramps and parking lots. The yellow perch limit is fifty perch daily per angler. Spring fishing has the perch in less than 55 foot of water and near shore. Tackle is a spinning rod, up to three rods per person  light line with three snelled hooks and a sinker. Rods used are three per person and emerald shiners for bait on each hook. If you see a boat catching stop nearby. The more bait in the area holds traveling schools of perch around plentiful bait nearby. Three persons on board yields 27 minnows under your boat that will hold a school of perch under your boat that you can anchor up or spot lock with an expensive electric gps connection  on your boat. With a 150 daily limit of perch, the yield of 300 filets that will feed a famiiy of four a year. Always have coolers of ice to preserve your fresh caught fish. Live wells turn warm as soup and your fish spoil. Your children will not be bored watching trolling hours going by. Good luck and do not become bamboozled by the large walleyes caught nearby. Be happy with the yellow perch.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics