Lake Erie Whitefish ice fishing You Tube

Lake Erie Whitefish have been off your radar because no one shows you they are there. Commercial fishermen catch and sell over one million dollars C annually. You Tube has dozens of sites showing methods, lures, lakes and techniques you should learn. One site showed where 120 whitefish were taken in a day. Also cleaning, smoking, canning and freezing them. Start searching You Tube for "whitefish ice fishing", dozens of shows will entertain you. 

Whitefish in Lake Erie along with the blue pike as their fry and minnows were consumed by the uncontrolled mass of the foreign invader smelt. The blue pike was termed extinct in the late 1950's and sport fishing for blue pike ended. Whitefish recovered but sportfishing for them never happened or has returned. Commercial fishing for whitefish has demonstrated their present abundance. Sport fishing hook and line works if you understand the life of whitefish feeding and reproduction sites. The You Tube sites will give you years of advice from expert fishermen in other lake sites, search them by starting "whitefish jigs, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, Lake Simcoe. You must set up in deeper water on the mud bottom where whitefish feed on worms, michigan wigglers mayflies and zebra mussels. They are in the deeper silt and rock bottoms. As water temperatures drop in the fall they migrate to near shore for spawning and as summer returns they return deeper to cooler waters.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There are dozens of "You Tube" videos that last days, not just hours. "SEARCH" out whitefish, Lake Erie whitefish, history, commercial fishery, fish tugs, sport fishing, spear fishing, gill nets, trap nets, trawl nets and hook and line harvest. Basically whitefish are a Coldwater bottom feeder most of the year but they spawn in shallow rock bottoms  in the late fall.  After spawning they feed on other egg masses such as Lake Trout. In one year they and other cold waters fish disappeared. They disappeared  in 1955 along with Ciscoes, Lake Trout, Blue Pike, etc. when another foreign invader in the cold waters appeared. It was the smelt, stocked in a Michigan lake to provide forage for the Lake Trout commercial fishery.  These fish were not harvested out but their reproduction minnows were consumed by the hordes of smelt that appeared in all of the Great Lakes. In the mid 1960's Canadian Commercial fishermen converted to trawlers that harvested the smelt that were air freighted to Asian markets. Then Coho salmon that were easily produced to the Great Lakes and Chinook, King, Salmon. trout were stocked with this combined control methods that began to return the Perch, Walleye and Bass and new salmon and trout fishery  to the hook and line sport fishing in in our Great Lakes that a few years earlier were considered "Dead Lakes." So in warm summer fishing go out to 60 to 90 foot of water using whitefish jigs available. You Tube has videos of the hook and line sport fishing methods and lures that you need to harvest these fine eating whitefish and also cleaning and cooking shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunkirk and Barcelona deep waters are where tons of whitefish are harvested in mid summer warm waters. Perch fishermen should go out there. Anchoring needs triple the depth anchor line. Spot lock electric bow motors will hold you over the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

TO MANY HYPOTHETICALS NO SOLID INFORMATION. NO YOUTUBE VIDEOS CATCHING WHITEFISH  ON LAKE ERIE .... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN OR TELL YA? WOULD LOVE TO CATCH SOME GREAT EATING BAKED OR SMOKED. I  HAD THE BEST CHIP DIP I EVER ATE IN MY LIFE IN THE UP OF MICHIGAN. IT WAS MADE FROM SMOKED WHITEFISH. THE VIDEOS I HAVE WATCHED THEY ARE FUN TO CATCH AND WEIGH SOME NUMBER OF POUNDS. IT AMAZES ME THAT NO ONE CATCHES SOME BY ACCIDENT OCCASIONALLY WITH JIGGING RAPS OR A MINNOW.  INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW HOW, WHEN AND WHERE ON LAKE ERIE.

TO MANY HYPOTHETICALS NO SOLID INFORMATION. NO YOUTUBE VIDEOS CATCHING WHITEFISH  ON LAKE ERIE .... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN OR TELL YA? WOULD LOVE TO CATCH SOME GREAT EATING BAKED OR SMOKED. I  HAD THE BEST CHIP DIP I EVER ATE IN MY LIFE IN THE UP OF MICHIGAN. IT WAS MADE FROM SMOKED WHITEFISH. THE VIDEOS I HAVE WATCHED THEY ARE FUN TO CATCH AND WEIGH SOME NUMBER OF POUNDS. IT AMAZES ME THAT NO ONE CATCHES SOME BY ACCIDENT OCCASIONALLY WITH JIGGING RAPS OR A MINNOW.  INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW HOW, WHEN AND WHERE ON LAKE ERIE.
We had an ice fishing trip off catt few years back. Perch limits were common that week occasional eye but every big group of guys pulled 1 or 2. 3 to 5 lb whites my self included. 48 for to 52. February never happened again

Sent from my SM-G781V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics