Thermolcline and Eyes.

In PA waters where I fish the cline sets up about this time of year in the summer stable weather patterns. You can see it on your depth finder if you turn up the sensitivity. The fish usually will be below it but feed in and above it. If the water is really warm and the weather has been stable for a few days the cline really sets up and you will see the fish stacked up just below it. A big blow from the north or east will turn over the lake and mess up the cline.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Thermocline is definitly something to pay attention to when hunting walleyes. I ihave found that active eyes are usually in 60-65 degree temps this time of year. I run a fish hawk and always check to see where the cline is. Seldom do we pull an eye out of water lower then 58.

Southwest winds stack warm water to the eastern end of the lake in the summer. Ohio is south of Pennsylvania and the warm air and sun conditions create a lot of warm surface water there and the SW wind blows it to NY waters. It piles up here all the way to the bottom of the lake. Sturgeon Point to Point Abino is nine miles across and the sixty mile breadth of PA and OH has a lot of warmer surface water that moves to NY where it piles up to the bottom especially east of Sturgeon Point. After July first the colder bottom water is found some years all the way west of Silver Creek. This cold water attracts the cold water seeking smelt, emerald shiners and forage for the walleye, trout and perch. Usually it is found around sixty to seventy foot depths and the fishing is fantastic out there from mid July to mid August.

There are upwelling conditions where an off shore wind blows all the warm water away and cold bottom waters reach the surface. Some below thermocline waters become dissolved oxygen scarce as decay of organisms consume the oxygen. White capping wave action adds oxygen to warm surface waters as below thermocline waters become dead zones from the decaying organisms and a lack of surface activity is blocked by the thermocline barrier. You may expect to find fish devoid areas after the season extends and the mixture is surface water declines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics