12 Year Old Kids Deer Hunting

Attention hunters of Erie County, NY.

This evening at 6:00PM the Erie County Legislature will be holding a public hearing on Local Law Intro 1-1-2021, an Act to lower the deer hunting with firearms age in Erie County to age 12, pursuant to EnCon Law 11-0935, which passed the state legislature back in April 2021.

The hearing will be at Old County Hall, 92 Franklin Street, 4th Floor, again at 6:00PM. Show up a little early, wear your camo, and help us get this one across the finish line. Erie County is one of only 4 counties in upstate left to have yet to pass this law. The more that show support, the better. Rest assured the opposition will be trying to stack the gallery.

You are NOT required to speak, but you will have the opportunity to do so if you wish. Please come out and show your support!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Jimdski said:

Twelve year old children do not need to be in the deer hunting woods with high powered rifles and shotgun slugs flying round. A better place is in the classrooms.

when i took my 10 yr old sons in the deer woods here in indiana they were a heck of a lot safer than most adult hunters out there. however, they were accompanied by me until they were 14. we only hunted with shotguns and muzzleloaders. but they had safety pounded in them from the time they were 6. but everyone doesn't stress safety like i did. at 12 they should be allowed to hunt if accompanied by an adult hunter. but this is just my opinion.

i grew up around guns, i hunted squirrels and rabbits all alone from the time i was about 8. i never had a dad to teach me anything about guns or hunting. asi grew up i was safety minded. but joined the marine corps at 21 yrs old and learned so much more about gun safety. but i have took it a step farther with safety. when i started deer hunting with my boys and my brother i hounded them about gun safety. and the last thing i asked them before heading into the woods was what's the most important thing you take with you. they would reply gun safety.

we sometimes hunted with a friend that took his 17 or 18 yr old son with us (my nephew) one day i had walked out of the woods and was waiting on my brother when he walked up and started talking. but every time i looked over he had his muzzleloader pointing at my head. i asked him to move it a few times and he did, but after a few minutes it would be pointed at my head again. I got grumpy and told him to move over to my other side. i said don't you know you never point a gun towards anyone. after he moved i noticed his hammer was all the way down on the cap (we were using cap locks) and not on half cock which was the safety on these type guns. i come unglued on him. i raised he** about him not having his gun on safe. he asked what safe, muzzleloaders didn't have a safety. i told him about the half cock being the safety. i asked didn't your dad teach you these things. his dad had hunted all his life. but a few times rabbit hunting i caught the barrel of his shotgun pointing at me. but anyway, the boy answered no his dad just handed him the gun and said go get a deer. 

so, the age of the hunter isn't near as important as them being taught gun safety. his dad was an unsafe hunter which in turn made his son an unsafe hunter. 

Edited by sherman brown

Twelve year old children do not need to be in the deer hunting woods with high powered rifles and shotgun slugs flying round. A better place is in the classrooms.
As someone who teaches hunter safety Ed I believe your 100% wrong. Firearm safety is taught to late. We should be teaching this from the time they start school. No different than teaching them not to play with the wall sockets...it should also be taught in public schools buy a school resource officer. Knowledge is what will stop the accidents and hopefully would help curve gun crimes with kids.

Gun safety should not be an add on...it should be a life skill that every American knows.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

i use to let my daughter look touch hold my guns at a very young age when she got a little older i would let her shoot them imo parents should educate them she doesnt hunt but she knows what a gun can do imo

jeff

• Like 1

All my kids and some of there friends started hunting at a very young age around 8, I would take them pheasant hunting with us on a game farm and they would carry a red rider bb gun, they learned how to carry a gun how to shoot safely. If any one of them messed up they heard about it. The man that ran the farm JIM said he had guys that where 50 years old point shotguns at him and guys walking with there finger on the trigger so age was not the factor. at 10 years I took my kids deer hunting on a deer hunting perserve. They all shoot a 243 with a muzzle brake and practiced every week. out hunting they learned how to get in and out of a tree stand and NOT have a loaded gun.They leaned how to look past the target and whats beyond. and a lot more. they all at one point in there young hunting careers  shot 160 class bucks. the point is its training not age.  would you take a 16 year old that just got there learners permit that day and put them in a car on the thruway at rush hour doing 65 mph. god bless ya. Its not age its training

• Like 1

A fellow employee of mine was shot and lost his left arm by a sixteen year old youth who was on his first hunt. It was at dawn and the fellow was fully clothed in blaze Orange from head to pants. Still this youngster was "trigger happy" and fired at the first movement he saw. All the "Hunter Educators" who claim to be safety educators are full of it when this happens.

• 4 weeks later...
I beg to differ... It starts with proper education, which I just so happened to learn in the public schools, yeah it was 50 yrs ago ... And then it went to the fields with friends and family who also knew the what and how to use firearms. I've also known grown adults, mid 30's and up who have been seriously injured at their own hands because of lack of judgement in gun safety in the woods. The basics in gun safety AND gun control started with knowing WHAT your target is and what's beyond your target. These were true then and are still true now. Yet many have not been taught these very simple rules before going out.
I can say that these are only MY thoughts and opinions, which are like something else that we ALL have

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics