POOR BITE THEORY

I'VE FISHED BARCELONA LAST FRIDAY WITH MY BUDDIE WE GOT A LIMIT OF 12 HAD TO WORK FOR THEM. WE WENT TO THE SMALL BOAT HARBOR YESTERDAY MONDAY ONLY GOT 3 ANOTHER BOAT WITH US ONLY GOT ONE. WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE? MY BUDDY JIM AND I DISCUSSED THIS AND COMPARED SCREENS EVEN THE SCREENS POSTED ON THIS SITE WHEN BITE WAS TUFF. THE DIFFERENCE ALTHOUGH THE BARCELONA SCREENS HAS FEWER GOOD MARKS THERE WAS A LOT LESS BAIT TOO. SO WE BELIEVE THE FISH STILL  HUNGRY FOR THE LACK OF BAIT. (THEORY) INTHE SMBH AND STURGEON POINT AND THE CAT WHILE LOTS  OF GOOD MARKS NOTICED LOTS OF BAIT TOO. ALSO THE FULL BUCK MOON AND A BIG BLUE SKY DIDN'T HELP. HOWEVER A FELLOW FISHERMAN REPOPRTED THEY DID PRETTY GOOD OUT OF BARCELONA WHILE WE DID POOLY OUT OF TGHE SMBH AT THE SAME TIME SAME DAY. YOU WALLEYE GUYS KNOW WHEN THE MAY FLY HATCH IS GOING STRONG THE BITE IS TUFF TOO BOTH HERE AND ONEDIA THIS YEAR. WHY TO MUCH BAIT MY OPINION. ON MONDAY OUT OF THE SBH MY SCREEN WAS FULL OF GOOD MARKS BUT TONS OF BAIT PROBABLY AS MUCH AS I HAVE EVER SEEN.  JUST LIKE US WHEN YOUR BELLY IS FULL WHO WANTS TO EAT? WEATHER IS A FACTOR TOO. (THEORY)  ANY ANOTHER GOOD IDEAS OR THEORIES FEEL FREE TO POST AND GIVE YOUR OPION. I WELCOME YOUR EXPERTISE. I AM 75 AND STILL LEARNING ABOUT CATCHING I KNOW HOW TO FISH. :emoticon-0102-bigsmile:

• Like 1

I don't have any theories, but the mayfly hatch theory intrigues me........ Are there still large numbers of insect "carcasses" floating on the surface?

In the western basin, they utilize "weapon rigs" to imitate mayflies. Last year I tied up a couple and ran them behind divers. On the very first deployment, within 30 seconds, we had a walleye..... and I was thinking "yes! I finally figured something out!"..... well, I trolled that rig for the next 3 hours and never took another fish....... I ran them several more times last season, with very limited success. 

On one of my 2 trips this year, I BB'd a weapon rig when we were seeing insect carcasses on the surface.... and although I took hits, I never brought any walleyes in the boat with the weapon rig.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make as many trips to Erie this season as last...... and without the guys who contribute here, I would have no information at all..... so thanks to everyone who is willing to share their trip information. I was hoping to make a trip tomorrow, but as "luck" would have it I've got wood to split...............

4 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

I don't have any theories, but the mayfly hatch theory intrigues me........ Are there still large numbers of insect "carcasses" floating on the surface?

In the western basin, they utilize "weapon rigs" to imitate mayflies. Last year I tied up a couple and ran them behind divers. On the very first deployment, within 30 seconds, we had a walleye..... and I was thinking "yes! I finally figured something out!"..... well, I trolled that rig for the next 3 hours and never took another fish....... I ran them several more times last season, with very limited success. 

On one of my 2 trips this year, I BB'd a weapon rig when we were seeing insect carcasses on the surface.... and although I took hits, I never brought any walleyes in the boat with the weapon rig.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make as many trips to Erie this season as last...... and without the guys who contribute here, I would have no information at all..... so thanks to everyone who is willing to share their trip information. I was hoping to make a trip tomorrow, but as "luck" would have it I've got wood to split...............

THE MAYFLY HATCH IS OVER. IT CAN BE A FACTOR BUT NOT NOW FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ON THE WATER..

27 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Those annoying ankle biting flies were nasty yesterday off Sturgeon... bring your fly swatters!

27 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Those annoying ankle biting flies were nasty yesterday off Sturgeon... bring your fly swatters!

BEN'S 100% DEET!!!

• Like 1

I can't help but think it has to do with water clarity.  The last 2 times out the bite was great until 9am.  Once the sun was high in the sky they all but stopped.  The early morning bite is always better, but it usually slows down a little more gradually.  This is a hard stop.  Might be a coincidence, but maybe not.

• Like 1

Couple of comments:

I still have lots of may flies on my boat in the morning. If there are bugs around always run a high line or 2 (2-3 colors of lead)

Use your chart plotter to keep track of where the bait concentrations are and fish outside of or away from the bait.

• Like 1

Good point MyTurn on finding fish away from the bait. On Monday out by the line there was too much bait I think. They probably fed all night with that moon and were too full? When we moved to a quieter screen is when we finally caught a few.

• Like 2

Idk about to much bait...I do my best when I find bait and fish the active /suspended fish around it....much like salmon guys do.

I have no real bite sucks theory...

I know the 4th we crushed them....the 5th we didn't.. same spot same water...same depth temp speed lures all the same...did 12 in few hrs...then 1 in 6 lol

Fishing!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics