Buffalo Walleye report

On 6/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Slapshot said:

First time out this morning, (not in the STWT), trolled for 6 hours and only managed 1 walleye,  1 bass and 1 sheephead.  worked hard and threw the kitchen sink at them. Trolled in front of the windmills, out to the condo's and to meyers reef.  For all the suposed great spawning thats been happening the last few years, where are all the walleye?

We got a ton of them at Meyers during stwt

1 hour ago, Thumbburn said:

How are the worm stealing gobies in the harbor bottom bouncing?..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Actually i haven't seen any! you go through a lot of worms from all the shorts, sheepshead.

2 hours ago, ciscokid said:

RKP I AM IN LEROY NY ACTUALLY MUMFORD 6 MILES FROM EXIT 47.  TO THE OTHER FELLOW GOBIES HAVEN'T BEEN AN ISSUE IN THE SBH.

Do you trailer your boat or have it in a slip?

I've had a few break offs on my worm harnesses. Felt like NICE fish. usually breaks the line under the beads and blade! Im thinking it has to be a toothy critter! Yesterday broke 2 copper berkley worm harnesses that way! When walleye hit it aggressively they could get both hooks in there mouth, which i've been  seeing on smaller ones. So whats the solution?

I have had this happen with lower cost / lower quality lines that are used on some harnesses. I think it is worth seeking out and paying a little more for harnesses that use quality line. Many brands will advertise the pound test and type of line they use as a selling point.

YOU ACTUALLY GOT SOME WALLEYE BITES BETTER THAN MOST. I TIE MY OWN HARNESSES EASY LOTS OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS. I USE 25 LB P LINE FLOROCLEAR. NEVER HAVE AN ISSUE CATCH PLENTY OF FISH WHEN THEY ARE BITING. SOME GUYS USE WIRE TO MAKE HARNESSES TO CATCH EYES SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE 25 LB TEST BEING TO HEAVY OR STIFF IT ISN'T BEEN USING IT ON ERIE FOR 8 YEARS..

Thanks ciscokid and stillwater. Berkley says it 17lb of course it's only $1.99. I've thought about rehooking some of the harnesses with 17lb advantage floro and better hooks. Any suggestions on hooks? 

1 hour ago, rkp said:

I've had a few break offs on my worm harnesses. Felt like NICE fish. usually breaks the line under the beads and blade! Im thinking it has to be a toothy critter! Yesterday broke 2 copper berkley worm harnesses that way! When walleye hit it aggressively they could get both hooks in there mouth, which i've been  seeing on smaller ones. So whats the solution?

Sometimes check the clevis on the blade. I have seen cheaper ones fray line. A little tuning can fix them most of time. Also I done pretty good with plastic ones that can change blades out. Also there are varying quality there. But can be nice to change colors and style like Colorado to Willow blades with out swapping full harnesses out

6:00am-11:30am. 50-60ft along US/CAN.  Started with all harnesses, 4 color - 10 color, got 3 within 1/2 hour on 7,8 &10 colors and then it died off.  Switched to all stick baits. &  got 2 more. 3 of the fish were nice size +24" & other 2 fish about 20". No color worked better than another.  Nothing on downriggers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jckjr8 said:

Sometimes check the clevis on the blade. I have seen cheaper ones fray line. A little tuning can fix them most of time. Also I done pretty good with plastic ones that can change blades out. Also there are varying quality there. But can be nice to change colors and style like Colorado to Willow blades with out swapping full harnesses out

Thanks, I think i'm going to take all my broke harnesses  and redo them with new hooks and floro. 

4 hours ago, ciscokid said:

EAGLE CLAW LAZER SHARP SIZE 1

Thanks, yeah the fish i've lost with the broke harness line break it during the fight, I even loosened my drag on the last one and tried to just keep light pressure on it.

6 hours ago, rkp said:

Try using Challenger worm harnesses,  Captain Bobs sells them. Super high quality,  mine never break 

Yes I've been buying the challengers now for the same reason. The components are much better quality. Strong hooks, nice paint that takes a beating, and the line and knots have not let me down yet. When I do redo them I usually use 3 owner hooks and #20 seaguar leader material. Just tie up a few leaders and when you get a knick or fray just switch everything to the new leader. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ciscokid said:

CHALLENGER 3 D WORM HARNESS $5.99 EACH AT CABELA'S, FISH USA.

Not sure what they cost at captain bobs Because I make my own but I try to buy what I can from him instead of the big chain stores. I like my money staying local.  And his prices are usually the same if not cheaper. 

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics