2021 @ “The Catt”

Just a FYI if your stick baits don't have split rings you can add one or I prefer using a small cross lock snap. Not a swivel mind you but just a snap  run the swivel like 2 ft up line or because I use Lite Bite divers I run off my braid a  tiny spro swivel (which goes through all the eyes )tied to braid Palomar knot then tie 20lb floro (Palomar knot) to swivel rig the lite bite and put a snap swivel at the end.  It stays clean and never a breakoff.

Edited by Coldfeet

Fished Wed from 6:30 to 1pm in 70 to 85 feet. Fished worm harnesses but no luck. Gold and black jointed rapala took four fish off a rigger, black and grey took another and flicker minnow run on three color core with four ounce snap weight on planet board took the last fish for my limit. Bugs were unreal. B10FBD36-6350-497D-A968-7D4867B58480.thumb.jpeg.150e72d5a2f309bd1a18eb8ff7cb5a1c.jpeg

• Like 2

Went out around 5:30am this morning and beat the crowd. Only a few boats at Sunset Marina when I arrive., but half hour later and there were a ton of boats out. Went out to 75 feet and set up a couple down riggers and planer board. By 10am I had my second limit of the week. Marked many fish and it really seemed like shooting fish in a barrel the last couple times out. Couple weeks ago I went out of Sturgeon and got skunked so I'll take this. Nothing huge but the the fish were chunky. One problem I am having is when I get a fish on, cant tell it because the fish doesn't release from the rigger. I've tried all the releases and if I set them too loose, they false release, too tight and they don't release at all. I guess I'm just going to have to keep experimenting till I find the sweet spot. Walleye fishing with down riggers is very different than fishing for salmon on Lake O.

Went out around 5:30am this morning and beat the crowd. Only a few boats at Sunset Marina when I arrive., but half hour later and there were a ton of boats out. Went out to 75 feet and set up a couple down riggers and planer board. By 10am I had my second limit of the week. Marked many fish and it really seemed like shooting fish in a barrel the last couple times out. Couple weeks ago I went out of Sturgeon and got skunked so I'll take this. Nothing huge but the the fish were chunky. One problem I am having is when I get a fish on, cant tell it because the fish doesn't release from the rigger. I've tried all the releases and if I set them too loose, they false release, too tight and they don't release at all. I guess I'm just going to have to keep experimenting till I find the sweet spot. Walleye fishing with down riggers is very different than fishing for salmon on Lake O.

Try chamberlain releases. They can be adjusted to trigger on small fish without false releases.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Went out Saturday afternoon. Fished from 1 till 5. Only got 1, (5lb 12 oz)

Caught it on big dipsy, setting 2.5   178 back

Was in 82 FOW.

Tried a 100 and a 200 copper set up for the first time to no avail.

Marked occasional groups of fish suspended at 60 to 65 but no takers.

Guess I'll break out the down riggers next trip.

I agree with fish master, Chamberlain release is the way to go

On one of my riggers I was using a Chamberlain release that I thought was set light but a 4 lb walleye still didn’t trip it. I think I’m going to just have to experiment with it till I get it tuned right. They do seem like a great release and looks like a lot of people recommend them.

One thing I was very pleased with where new retractable transom tie downs on my trailer I used for the first time.  I lost a tie down so decided to install the retractable ones. Why didn’t I do this years ago? Love them!

1 minute ago, ciscokid said:

CHAMBERLAIN RELEASES. I HAVE 6 BRAND NEW IN THE PACKAGE CHAMBERLAIN RELEASES INCLUDING 2 STACKER 101'S. I'LL THROW IN A NEW BLACK FOR FREE $15.00 EACH.  

CORRECTION I HAVE A TOTAL OF 8 CHAMBERLIN RELEASES INCLUDING  4 STACKER 101'S  AND 2 TOTAL BLACKS.

Fished west of Catt on Canadian line today from 9:00-1:00. Caught 4 small keepers. All 4 on watermelon harnesses behind dipseys, nothing on down riggers. Marked fish all morning, just Perfect conditions, 2-2 1/2' chop and over cast. Just couldn't get them to turn on.

Went out early this morning and got a hit on a downrigger right away but lost him after a short battle then didn’t catch anything till late morning when I finally got a keeper. Hit a fire tiger jointed rapala. Didn’t move another rod so I switched all my jointed rapalas to deep diving crank baits and that turned them on. Got two hits right away. A storm looked like it was coming in from the north but I hoped I could get one more before calling it a day. My rigger got hit and I could tell it was a good one. Then my other rigger got hit for a doubleheader…… but no. First fish got tangled in my second line. Had to hand line the fish into the net. This one was 27 inches. Also caught a bonus perch…. He fought the hardest. Used the chamberlain release again but line kept getting hung up on the metal lever. Don’t ask me how. Used a rubberband in the release and this worked great. It’s what I do when I use black releases.

6A2B3F8D-AF87-4083-94D8-84A1E2882E5F.jpeg

44852637-1A11-4E36-9493-95101ECBF8E1.jpeg

• Like 2

NICE GOING WE GOT OUR LIMIT TODAY 2 BOATS 4 GUYS BEFORE NOON WORM HARNESSES. IT WAS OUR 8TH LIMIT IN A ROW. PERCH AND PINK SPINNERS WERE OUR TICKET.

I STILL HAVE THOSE ALMOST NEW (USED TWICE) CANNON TOURNAMENT SERIES STAINLESS STEEL MANUAL DOWNRIGGERS FOR SALE BEST OFFER WILL SELL VERY REASONABLY.

ALSO NEW IN THE PACKAGE CHAMBERLAIN AND BLACK RELEASES $15.00 EACH NEW $26.00.

• 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics