2021 @ “The Catt”

Just now, Stillwater said:

Nice jobs J. Sparrow and backinthegame! Hope the next couple days don't stir it up too much. Hoping for a Friday outing.

FISH FRY FRIDAY THAT'S THE DAY WHEN THE GREASE GETS HOT THE WALLEYES SAY GOLDEN BROWN THAT'S THE WAY!!! HOME FRIED POTATOES  ALL THE WAY. :emoticon-0115-inlove:

• Like 1

Thanks !  My father and nephew were out there yesterday in the same waters from 8-1pm and only managed to get 2, using 10 color and long-A's so I thought it may have been their speed but they were 1.8 - 2.1 also.  I'm sure they'll figure it out next time.

YEP I FEEL THE SAME WAY FISHING WITH J SPARROW MY BOAT ON FRIDAY. NORTH NE WINDS ALL WEEK. DECENT WIND ON THURSDAY TO STIR THEM UP. :emoticon-0101-sadsmile: HOWEVER WE CAN'T CATCH THEM FROM THE COUCH. SO HI HO HI HO A FISHN WE WILL GO.  I KNOW OF TWO OTHER BOATS WITH GUYS OUT THERE THAT I KNOW  SO WE'LL SURROUND THEM. MAYBE? DON'T I WISH.

• Like 1

Tough day for me and a buddy today... Started fishing rod in hand with bouncers and harnesses from 10:30 until about noon. Picked up one 22 incher. Switched over to trolling with 2 dipsy rods for rest of day (5:30 pm). Picked up 3 more eyes. 16", 19" and a 23" all on harnesses. Bite died for us around 1 pm. Saw some nets moving but not a lot. Guessing the trolling bite was better earlier. Should have started out trolling. Most boats gone by 2 pm or so? Great day to be out in spite of the light box for us. Guy at the ramp said many boats did well.

I GOT TO FISH WITH J. SPARROW OUT OF THE CATT RETURNING THE FAVOR OF FISH OUT OF HIS BOAT HIS WAY. I WAS GOING TO SHOW THE SPARROW HOW TO BOTTOM BOUNCE THE KISS WAY.  (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID WAY) SO WE WENT TO 75 FT PUT THE N WIND AT OUR TAIL AND STARTED GOING SHALLOWER TRYING TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE EYES. GUESS WHAT NO BITES IN 2 HOURS. OH NO I KNEW IT MIGHT BE TUFF BUT TUFF AS NAILS YIKES EMBARRASSIUNG. HOWEVER I HAD MENTIONED TO SPARROW DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE SUGGESTIIONS SO HE DID TG!!!  OUT TO DEEPER WATER WE WENT. LOOK AT THE FF'ER THERE WERE SUSPENDED EYES AND BAIT BUT I  ONLY HAD BOTTOM BOUNCERS WITH WORM HARNESSES AND BIG SINKERS WERE WE GOING TO BONK THEM ON THE HEAD AND NET THEM? SPARROW SUGGESTED WE ONLY WE ONLY LOWER OUR BB'ERS FARENOUGH TO FIND THE STRIKE ZONEOF THE ELUSIVE EYES.  SHORTLY THERE AFTER BANG A BITE SPARROW SAYS FISH ONOMG IT WORKS!!!  THERE WASGOLD IN THE NET GOLD IN THE BOX GOLD IN THE FRYING PAN.  THE FISHING WASN'T FAST AND FURIOUS BUT WE GOT 8. THE KID HAD 3 ON THAT I LOST PLUS WE BOTH MISSED SOME HITS. SO I LEARNEDA LOT BECAUSE I GOT A LOT TO LEARN. IF THE FISH AREN'T SHALLOW GO DEEP AND 2 AGAINST 1 WORKS AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BONK EM ON THE HEAD OR SET OFF DEPTH CHARGES WHEN THE FISH ARE DEEP  AND SUSPENDED!!! THANKS  J. SPARROW FOR YOUR EXPERTISE, SUGGESTIONS AND COMRADERY. WE'LL DO AGAIN SOMETIME THE LORD WILLING AND THE CREEK DON'T RISE! :emoticon-0111-blush:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slow morning for us yesterday.  We ended up getting 6 bites and landed 5 between 630 and 1030.  We marked a lot early but then they disappeared from the screen.  We didn't start catching until about 830 and unfortunately had to quit early due another obligation. Ours were an even mix of bottom bouncing, down riggers and leadcore.  All on harnesses with no dominant color.  

• Like 1

STILLWATER WE STARTED AT 7:30 AM QUIT AT 5  PM SPENT A GOOD SHARE OF THE MORNING CHASING MARKS  AROUND THE PACK ON THE BOTTOM THAT WOULDN'T BITE. EVERYTHING WE DID WAS TROLLING THAT'S HOW I ROLL WITH BB'ERS AND MY HONDA 9.9; BUT LATER WE SWITCHED TO THE ELECTRIC MOTOR ONLY WHEN WE WENT DEEP THX TO THE SPARROW SO WE COULD GET INTO THE STEALTH MODE ON THE SUSPENDED FISH. IT WAS SPOTTY MOSTLY IN THE AFTERNOON THE DEEPER WE WENT THE MORE FISH AND BAIT WE SAW. HOWEVER THERE WERE QUITE A FEW FISH THAT WOULD NOT BITE, MORE NONE BITERS THAN BITERS. A COUPLE OF TIMES WE GOT SEVERAL FISH PUT DOWN WAYPOINTS AND WORKED THEM TO NO AVAIL. AT THE END OF THE DAY WITH THE LAKE TO OURSELVES NO REAL CHOP WE TROLLED FOR 1 1/2 HRS W/O A BITE SO WE CALLED IT A FINE BUT CHALLENGING DAY. A FRIEND OF MINE'S BROTHER WENT OUT ON SAT. BUT ONLY CAUGHT 1 EYE. HE ALSO WENT DEEP. HE ALSO SAID NO ONE DID GOOD ON SAT. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S TRUE BUT IT WAS TRUE FOR HIM. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

Thanks for the information Cisco. I understand now. Interesting you troll with bouncers in deep water... how heavy are the ones you use?

I drift with them, rod in hand, 1.5 to 3 oz. When the wind dies I switch to trolling.

Nice job gbill512. Glad you found them. I hope the lake normalizes for some good fishing this month.

I have sinkers up to 8 oz but had 5 & 6 oz on that day, rods go into rod holder troll and wait for bite. i can troll 4 to 5 rods out of my boat usually 4. The rule of thumb is 1 oz for every 10 ft of depth but you can troll  shallower or 10  ft or so deeper extra line and trolling speed matter.. Even when we fished for suspended fish we kept the 5 & 6 oz sinkers on and used our line counters.

• Like 1

That's great. Thanks for sharing. I have used heavy bouncers on St. Lawrence River for eyes. Maybe I will try it on Erie sometime. Dipsies are less weight and resistance when fighting a fish and have the dive depth charts. I think the water temp was funny on Friday the more I hear.

9 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

That's great. Thanks for sharing. I have used heavy bouncers on St. Lawrence River for eyes. Maybe I will try it on Erie sometime. Dipsies are less weight and resistance when fighting a fish and have the dive depth charts. I think the water temp was funny on Friday the more I hear.

THAT'S CORRECT THE WATER TEMP FROM THE NE WINDS PUSHED IN COLD WATER. DEC GUY TOLD ME PERCH WERE PUSHED INTO THEIR NETS AT 36 FEET ALMOST UNHEARD OF. WE COULD SEE A THERMOCLINE AT 50 FT. YES DIPSY'S WORK I'VE USED THEM BUT MY SYSTEM GIVE ME MORE DEPTH CONTROL WHEN BOUNCING NEAR THE BOTTOM WITH LESS LINE OUT NORMALLY. THE FISH WILL TELL YOU IF YOUR DOING IT RIGHT! IF IT WORKS AND CATCHING FISH USE IT. DIPSY'S COULD BE BETTER FOR THOSE FISH SUSPENDED OVER DEEP WATER. WHERE DID YOU GET THE DIPSY DIVER CHARTS FROM?

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics