2021 @ “The Catt”

Went out with the flotilla Sunday morning. Wife and I started at 60 fow trolled out towards 70s. Sure wasn't as flat as they said it was to be. Waves were beating up up pretty good.  Picked up first fish at 63fow. Pulling harnesses under 5 Oz 3 way. First fish came on a firetiger brass  out 120ft.  Had one fish hitting other rod purple black. Wife said hey is that a bite?  Firetiger was hooked up. 20" eye.  Went 1/4 mile rod doubles over. Set hook felt like snag. 2 head shake and snapped 20lb floro leader like a twig. Fish was huge. Either a cat big carp or who knows big eye.  Trolled ot to 74ft most  fish around 68 too fow. Picked up one more like 19" on purple black.  Called it a day at 11.   That big stump is still straight out the Catt at 32fow. Be careful. No markings on it. When I go out again I'll try to hang jug on .  it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't crank the drag down. Quite opposite. I leave clicker on. Set drag to pull line out on lightest bite possible. Most days I fish myself.  So driving boat and running rods I don't see everything. When fish hits the clicker sound off giving me fair warning. Also pulling rod out of holder if your dragging weight of fish a dipsey or weight of 3 way can be a challenge if drag is cranked down. I like the slippage on the clicker. Once rods in hand I give star drag a twist pull rod. Not jerk like setting hook. That's more than enough to bury good hooks.   My blunder when I pulled fish didn't budge. It felt like a snag. I put thumb on spool.pulled little harder. At that point the first head shake. And it was then I knew it was friggen big. I only had 2 rods out should have had wife neutral boat bring in second rod. My bad. Instead I tried to move fish.  Second head shake and in a split second game over.  Not the first big fish I've lost not the last. I tie Palomar knots exclusively on my terminal tackle.  But haven't retired in a trip or 2. Again my bad.   Breaking point wasn't 20 lbs that's for sure most likely 12 to 15.  Due to hrs of trolling previous to this trip out.  Live and learn. Retire terminal daily and after a few fish to keep this from happening. No one to blame but me. 

Edited by Coldfeet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Had the pleasure of hosting the Ciscokid on my boat yesterday out of the Catt........ not fast and furious, but we managed 10 in the boat, with 3 or 4 lost and a half dozen shorts. Lots of marks. We fished 65 to 85 fow, and took fish on 10 color cores with natural colored sticks, harnesses (orange was good) off the riggers, and a perch colored scorpion stinger off a wire diver.....

Of the 5 fish I cleaned, 4 stomachs were empty, and one had 4 half digested small baitfish..... emeralds if I had to guess.......

Edited by J. Sparrow
change
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THE CISCO KID SAYS THANK YOU TO J. SPARROW A GOOD SKIPPER AND MAN WITH MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT SETTING UP DOWNRIGGERS,  DIPSYS ON WIRE AND PLANER BOARDS  THEN I EVER WANT TO LEARN OR COULD LEARN AS I AM A BOTTOM BOUNCER. YOU KNOW A SINKER A WORM AND  I AM FISHN PURE SIMPLICITY. HE TENDED 6 RODS DROVE THE BOAT READ THE GARMIN BAITED THE HOOKS  ( I WAS THE WORM HANDER OUTER.)  HE MADE IT LOOK EASY. I WAS SWEATING JUST WATCHING HIM UNTIL HE PUT UP THE BIG BIMINI TOP ON HIS WELL EQUIPPED CRESTLINER 1850 COMMANDER. THERE IS SO MUCH ROOM IN THE BACK OF THE BOAT WE COULD HAVE HOSTED AMERICAN BANDSTAND. DOES THAT GIVE AWAY MY AGE HA,HA? YEP 10 SWEETMEAT EYES NO PONCHO, NO WHISKEY, NO WINE JUST A FUN DAY GOOD FISHN AND  EVERYTHING WAS FINE. :emoticon-0142-happy:

• Like 2

Just finished cleaning a few from this Am outing.   Started at 64fow trolled out to 74fow. Took 4 min to boat the first eye.  Tossed back 3 more.  Made loop back into 68 fow and headed west.  Lots of light hits.   Turned back east and picked up another for cooler and that was it. The wind picked up big time and started capping big.  Long slow ride in it made ya pucker up a few times.  Going to release 2 in hot oil for dinner.  Got them early on firetiger bronze. As sun got higher purple black was the number. Towed behind a lit bite 180' back  they were tight to bottom for the most.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saturday morning trailers were lined up out of the lot and down the road at 6:15. Had to be way over a hundred boats off the Catt. Not all of them launched at Hanover I’m sure.

We got 22 from 7:15 to 11:30.

Sticks on ten color cores did best. Seven color worked for the first couple of hours. Renosky in rainbow trout did the best by far.

Worm burners (purple and pink) and spoons (green alewife) on riggers down 55 to 65 did well.

Wire divers with worm burners took a couple but that was it.

Fished 75 to 90 fow to the west most of the morning. I stayed away from the fleet as I was not going to combat troll. Eight rod spread was about all we wanted at times.

For my particular spread we kept our speed a little slower than we normally fish, around 1.8 to 2.0 at the ball and it was working.

We also lost a handful and threw back some shorts. Not one junk fish.

Good luck, hope you crush em!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 4

I was there from 4 to 6 pm Saturday. Sweltering hot. Never had a bite, used all crawler harnesses this Time. I fished just west and 75 to 80 FOW. Oh, the thermocline was at 60 ft down. 81 degree surface, and at 60 ft it was 65 degrees as I recall. Usually I see same temp top to bottom out there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Catt. 8/31:

23 walleye, including 5 throwbacks between 14-16”, 5 perch, couple sheephead, and a few silver bass.  3 man limit by 11am.  Got off the fish when we got complacent and wasted an hour.  77-85FOW.  10-color leadcore, dipseys out 150-170’, and riggers at 60-70’ all produced.  Bay rat long shallow divers, bomber long As, scatter rap minnows, worm burners, harnesses, and spoons all took fish.  Great morning on the water.

• Like 4

backinthegame pretty much nailed my day........... beautiful weather, and good fishing. Solo limit, split between harnesses on a rigger, bay rats on the 10 color, and stingers on the diver....... 70 to 80 fow. For me, they didn't jump in the boat...... it took some time and coaxing but it was a beautiful day, with no place to be!!!! 

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics