2021 @ “The Catt”

Fished off the Catt yesterday (Saturday). Started in 55 where we saw a decent screen. Eventually went out to 75 for where most of the boats were. From 65 to 75 didn't see any marks but picked one up at 65. Went back to 55-60 where we got 3 more. Largest was 24". All were caught on riggers using harnesses, nothing on the dipsys. Trolled slow, mostly between 1.0 & 1.2. Caught at least 10 shephead, some were huge. Don't know what's going on there. Because of winds, this was my 1st walleye outing this year. Even Miller the bait man said guys just haven't been out. 

IMG_2270.jpeg

• Like 2

Fished this morning 7:00-12:30 off Sturgeon, 56-63 fow. Great conditions, slight chop and overcast. Some marks, lots of bait.  Every color of the rainbow harness, sticks & spoons, off dipsies, riggers and lead core. The only thing we got bit by were the flies. 
very discouraging. 

THE CATT: I JUST GOT A REPORT THAT THE CAT FLOODING WAS SO BAD THEY WERE PULLING BOATS OUT OF THE CREEK!!!! IT'S RAINED JUST ABOUT EVERY DAY IN JULY. GREAT FOR ZUCCHINI AND CORN BUT NOT GOOD FOR FISHING. WE NEED SOME STABLE CALM WEATHER. 

10 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04213500 CATTARAUGUS CREEK AT GOWANDA NY

Looks like the Catt peaked yesterday at over 20,000 CFS! And an area between Gowanda and Springville got over 7 inches of rain in the past 72 hours. Nuts.............. back on July 11, she was running at 300 CFS.......

SHOULD THERE BE ANY DOUBT IF THE LORD MADE IT RAIN FOR 40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS THE WHOLE WORLD WOULD BE FLOODED!!! NO DOUBT IN MY MIND. HAVE A BLESSED DAY.  NOAH

• Like 1

Fished Dunkirk today and never moved a rod. Ran W out of the harbor about 7 miles and fished back to port, looking in 45 to 85 fow....... marked alot of bait and not many fish until getting back in front of the port. Then just a little E of port in 60 - 65 fow there were many fish from 40 to the bottom, with the majority at about 52 down. I though for sure when we saw those fish ( without much bait) we'd at least take a few.......... Notta. Harnesses, flutter spoons, sticks, wire divers, riggers, 4 color, 7 color....... nothing. Just a waste of $100 in gas.............

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

Fished Dunkirk today and never moved a rod. Ran W out of the harbor about 7 miles and fished back to port, looking in 45 to 85 fow....... marked alot of bait and not many fish until getting back in front of the port. Then just a little E of port in 60 - 65 fow there were many fish from 40 to the bottom, with the majority at about 52 down. I though for sure when we saw those fish ( without much bait) we'd at least take a few.......... Notta. Harnesses, flutter spoons, sticks, wire divers, riggers, 4 color, 7 color....... nothing. Just a waste of $100 in gas.............

Same with us Sparrow.  Ran to Van Buren fished 55 to 70 FOW.  When not even a tail was nipped we decided to try out deeper.  We ran past all that dirty water (between 72 - 90 FOW) and started in 95 FOW.  There were marks everywhere from 35 to 70 feet down, bait was loaded in the top 40 FOW.  Fished that for a couple of hours and not even a tail nip.

• Like 2

GENTLEMEN THIS WAS A RECORD RAINFALL AND COLD FRONT, COLD WATER IS HEAVIER THAN WARM WATER AND SINKS DOWN THROUGH THE WATER COLUMN AND REALLY SCREWS UP THE FISH AND MAKES THEM GO NEUTRAL IT'S MORE THAN A DIRTY WATER THING,  IT'S  SORTA LIKE SOMEONE THROWING A BUCKET OF COLD WATER ON US.  AS FAR AS I KNOW THAT MAKES MAN NOR BEAST HAPPY.  MY NORMAL RULE OF THUMB IS 3 DAYS AFTER A COLD FRONT WITH COLD RAIN.  IN THIS CASE I HOPE TO GO OUT THURSDAY THAT'S 4 DAYS FROM SATURDAY AND THEN WHO KNOWS?  ALTHOUGH IT'S ONLY MY 2 CENTS WORTH IT'S BASED ON YEARS AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WHERE I LEARNED THE HARD WAY AND WASTED A LOT OF TIME AND GAS MYSELF.

TIGHT LINES

• Like 2

Head west! Fished out of Barcelona Sun/Mon. 4 man limit both days with another 4 man limit of under <17" throw backs. No big fish, a couple 24's the rest 19ish. 45' to 55' close to state line. 1.5 to 2.2 harnesses and Dreamweaver spoons orange/green did the best.

• Like 4

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics