2021 @ “The Catt”

HOWDY FELLOW FISHER PEOPLE. I DON'T WANT TO START AN ARGUMENT SO FOR THE SAKE OF THE DISCUSSION I WILL OFFER YOU THIS. I JUST WENT ON A YOUTUBE HUNT, SPOKE TO AN AMERICAN  LOWRANCE  TECH SUPPORT SUPERVISOR, A NAVY SONAR OPERATOR, WATCHED A DR SONAR VIDEO HE'S . I DID FIND A FEW THAT SAID YOU COULD TELL DIFFERENT SPECIES BUT THERE WEREN'T VERY CONVINCING. THE LOWRANCE SUPERVISOR SAID THERE IS NO UNIT MADE OTHER THAN A CAMERA THAT CAN DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN SPECIES OF THE APPROXIMATE SAME SIZE IN A MULTI SPECIES LAKE. THE NAVAL SONAR OPERATOR SAID IF HE GETS A SIGNAL ON HIS SCREEN HE CAN'T TELL IF IT'S A SAILBOAT BOAT OR A CENTER CONSOLE, DR SONAR SAID THEY ARE SO MANY FACTORS SUCH AS DEPTH, SENSITIVITY SETTING OF A UNIT, SPEED YOU CAN HAVE A HARD TIME EVEN DETERMINING SIZE. TWO SMALL FISH TOGETHER CAN LOOK LIKE ONE BIG MARK. SO I STILL DON'T BELIEVE THOSE RIBBONS ARE MARKS  OF WALLEYES BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE. TRUTHFULLY ON L ERIE WHEN THOSE RIBBONS ON MY SCREEN I EITHER CAUGHT NOTHING OR WHITE PERCH. YES I CAN SAY WITH SOME CERTAINTY THOSE MARKS THAT I TYPICALLY SEE ON ERIE ARE WALLEYES BUT THE OTHER HAND I WOULDN'T BET MY LIFE THAT NEXT FISH COMING OUT OF THOSE MARKS WON'T BE A SHEEPHEAD, BUT I MIGHT BET $5. :emoticon-0102-bigsmile: THAT'S MY FINDING AND I RESPECT EVERYONE'S  RIGHT TO THEIR OWN OPINION. IT KINDA NEAT TO GET DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES ON  VARIOUS TOPICS.  IF YOU FIND A VIDEO THAT SHOWS FOR SURE HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPECIES SUCH AS WALLEYES FROM SHEEPHEAD GUARANTEED SENT IT ALONG PLEASE. AS I SAID I KNOW A LOT ABOUT FISHING GOT MORE TO LEARN ABOUT CATCHING. :)

There's no Argument. I'm just passing on what was taught to us by a charter captain, and my experience on the water, seeing these marks on bottom and suspended, and then fluttering spoons up through the suspended ribbon looking returns, and catching Walleyes. I think the Captain is correct and it has to do with Air Bladders of different species.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, garrymny said:

There's no Argument. I'm just passing on what was taught to us by a charter captain, and my experience on the water, seeing these marks on bottom and suspended, and then fluttering spoons up through the suspended ribbon looking returns, and catching Walleyes. I think the Captain is correct and it has to do with Air Bladders of different species.

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING BUT I'LL TRUST THE EXPERTS ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT INVENTED AND TEST THE TECHNOLOGY. PLUS MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH THOSE HEAVY RIBBONS MAYBE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 2 DIFFERENT KINDS OF RIBBONS ON THE SCREEN? IF YOU REALLY COULD EVEN 80 TO 90% OF THE TIME IDENTIFY DIFFERENT SPECIES OF FISH WITH CERTAINTY AND SONAR. IT WOULD BE HEAVILY MARKETED, ADVERTISE AND BE ALL OVER THE INTERNET. I HAVE A LOWRANCE HDS 9 GEN 2 TOUCH. GOOD INPUT AND DISCUSSION THX AGAIN.

10 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

This is what I think the eyes come up on my hummingbird as....no way to know for sureMVIMG_20180708_103625.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I AM NOT SURE HOW TO READ A HUMMINBIRD SCREEN NO EXPERIENCE.  DO THINK THE BIG DARK MARKS ARE THE BAIT OR THE WALLEYES? THOSE NOT LIKE THE RIBBONS THE OTHER FISHERMAN SHOWED US ON HIS SCREEN. THX

FYI, THERE IS A YOUTUBE VIDEO CALLED SONAR FOR DUMMIES THAT'S ME. LOL THAT HAS 6 LESSONS IN ONE 47 MINUTE VIDEO. I HAVEN'T GOT A CHANCE TO VIEW IT TODAY. THERE ARE ALSO SOME GOOD DR SONAR VIDEOS TOO. TO BUSY STUDYING FOR MY HEALTH INSURANCE TESTS.

I AM NOT SURE HOW TO READ A HUMMINBIRD SCREEN NO EXPERIENCE.  DO THINK THE BIG DARK MARKS ARE THE BAIT OR THE WALLEYES? THOSE NOT LIKE THE RIBBONS THE OTHER FISHERMAN SHOWED US ON HIS SCREEN. THX
I think the longer marks with yellow in them are fish....I think some of the smaller "clutter " up top could be bait...fleas...grass..mayflies or whatever they are actively chasing....thats how I interpret that screen.

Ps doesn't mean I'm right lol

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I think the longer marks with yellow in them are fish....I think some of the smaller "clutter " up top could be bait...fleas...grass..mayflies or whatever they are actively chasing....thats how I interpret that screen.

Ps doesn't mean I'm right lolemoji1787.png

I THINK YOUR RIGHT THAT'S HOW I READ IT MORE OR LESS. GOOD JOB!!!

Hey Guys, the long ribbons are Walleyes. According to a Walleye Charter Captain that gave a class at the Niagara Expo show, he showed screen shots of his fish finder and pointed out the walleyes, versus sheepshead and bass etc. It has to do with the sir bladders. So yes, those longer ribbons, strings are Walleyes. Bass and sheepshead show as hooks. Believe it or not.

I've always been taught that both can be eyes. Long ribbon means they are relatively still compared to the transucer, the hook or arch means they were moving, but at the same depth. And upward or downward line slope they were coming up or diving.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Bottom Bouncer said:

There's still a decent bite going on in Barcelona.  Got a two man limit today with fish scattered from 65 - 83 fow.  Most came off the bottom but 4 came off the riggers at 45 ft. All came on worm harnesses and no color was dominant.

THX BB I ALWAYS APPRECIATE YOUR DETAILED INFO.  HEADED TO SEAGER MARINE TOMORROW MY BIG  MERC 115 HAD PROBLEMS LAST WEEK FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER,  HOWEVER THE SMALL HONDA 9.9 RAN FINE NOT A GAS ISSUE.  I HAD A HARD TIME KEEPING STARTED RUNNING SLOW BUT ONCE I GOT IT GOING FAST IT WAS OK. 1ST PROBLEM I'VE HAD WITH THIS 2013 MERC. I ONLY RUN WITH IT.

Got a solo limit out of the Catt today in 76 - 80 fow.... all on harnesses. wire diver out 200 on 2.5 and a 10 color core off a big board. Silver Spin n Glow harness took 3. beautiful day. lots of boats got fish today, but not huge numbers that I spoke with.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

Got a solo limit out of the Catt today in 76 - 80 fow.... all on harnesses. wire diver out 200 on 2.5 and a 10 color core off a big board. Silver Spin n Glow harness took 3. beautiful day. lots of boats got fish today, but not huge numbers that I spoke with.....

COOL I HOPE THE THE CATT TURNS ON OR THE SBH BEFORE THE END OF THE SEASON.  MY BOAT IN SHOP NOW. BUMMER.

Nice job JS. We fished off the Catt yesterday also, in the same area as JS, 75-80 fow. We had a lot of action, some silver bass, 2 sheephead, 2 perch and 7 walleye. 2 were over 26". Downriggers with harnesses about 2' off the bottom caught all the walleye. Dipsys on 2.5 setting at 115 caught the sheephead & silver bass. Lost a big walleye fighting hard at the boat just out of reach of the net. Trolled about 1.5 to 1.9 mph. A lot of boats were deeper than us. A fun day on the water and encouraging to get some walleye

IMG_2313.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Fished out of Catt yesterday. Long day with some results. Marked fish all day. 75 to 83 fow.  Ran harnesses in morning and picked up first eye in under 1/2 hr.  Most  fish were within 10 ft of bottom. Started to get bugged by catching tons of white Perch so swapped out to running dipseys and cranks. Took 40 ft to boat a 23" eye. In 76 fow.  Wind was a game all day. Swirling out of south the from east and back and forth.  Picked up last eye in 78 for. Again another 23"  but fat fish.  Wind was making lots of chop and it started capping.  Boats were everywhere. 70s out beyond the 80ft. Talked to few guys. Fish are being caught but it's slow and you need to work for every one.  Last note. Pods and pods of baitfish ( I'm guessing) they're everywhere. No wonder fish are tight lipped.  

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, J. Sparrow said:

it was a float switch that controlled gas flow it tanked!!! they replaced it along with new plugs.

Hey coldfeet we had the same experience yesterday out of the Catt long day with a few walleye and 3 perch.: talked with 2 guys who limited out , said they had better luck with targeting the fish that were suspended 10-15’ from the bottom. We had targeted the bottom, while marking a bunch of good sized hooks all over on the bottom. These must be the laziest fish in the lake !

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United

Runout

Early morning I ran 4oz weights to get to bottom. Trolled at .9 to 1.3 running blades.   I ran 2 rods this way and would also bring rigs up the water column to the suspended big fish marks which seemed to be around 62 ft over 78 fow.  I played all morning fishing high and low in the water column. When I flipped over to cranks on the  light bites ( dipsey) I set 30 ft back off the dipsey and sent it down to match depth  so 80 ft on reel over 80 fow. Which gives me anywhere from 55 to 65 ft.  down approx.   I had lots of hits but the ones I got just slammed the lures.   I ended up putting drift socks out to slow me down too.   I looked for nice wide wobble. I personally think the waves or chop was playing havoc with presentation kind of Jenkins the bait and lures too much.  

Agree with the northeast wind and the current pulling east probably isn’t the best scenario. Also I couldn’t find any cooler water, was reading 74 degrees down to the bottom, ( unless my sub-troll is off )

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics