Sturgeon Point Marina Meeting

WE NEED YOUR HELP -- BOATERS & ANGLERS

This is the Town of Evans supervisors position on Sturgeon Point Marina.

There is a public meeting next Wednesday, April 21st at 6pm.

We need boaters and anglers to come out and support the opening of the marina. Let's pack the place and make it happen.

Town of Evans Town Hall

8787 Erie Road

Angola NY 14006

Sturgeon Point is the only harbor for safe refuge between the Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo and the marine facilities (not

a harbor and not safe in severe conditions) at the Cattaraugus Creek, so it is very important for mariner’s safety for it to

be available. Examples of port to port mileage along New York waters:

North East, PA to Barcelona, NY 10.5 miles

Barcelona, NY to Dunkirk, NY 15 miles

Dunkirk, NY to Buffalo, NY 30 miles

If Sturgeon Point is operational, the distance is cut nearly in half.

Dunkirk, NY to Sturgeon, NY 18 miles

Sturgeon, NY to Buffalo, NY 12 miles

The elimination of Sturgeon Point Launch & Marina significantly reduces the emergency response on Lake Erie.

Emergency response teams will be forced to travel further to launch and attend to situations on the lake.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

If the Town of Evans has no interest in maintaining the marina it's about time to approach the state about making it a state park. 

What happened to the money that was earmarked for the repair of the breakwall? 

NYSDEC has been approached about making Sturgeon Point Marina a Statebm Park, no response back yet.
Breakwall Money has been sitting there since 2018,I believe 1.2 million.Town of Evans saying no where near enough money to do the repair. Please come to the April 21st meeting and voice your concerns. We need a very big turnout by everyone to get the Marina Open for 2021!

If the Town of Evans has no interest in maintaining the marina it's about time to approach the state about making it a state park. 
What happened to the money that was earmarked for the repair of the breakwall? 

It  would be proper if New York State officials would be there to report on boat registrations for the Town of Evans. The loss of revenues from dock leases, launch passes and use by Town residents that use the boating access of the marina. The job losses of Town Employees that operate the Marina. The Marina adds a lot of quality of life to live in the Town of Evans. The highway trucks and Gradall could easily be used to maintain the Launch Channel. This problems are many parts of town employees getting involved for the Marina operations.

According to Ch 4 news TV, US Senator Schumer will see if the US Army Corps of Engineers can dredge the sand out of the entrance. All now after the marina was closed up last August. No report on NY Senators and Assembly. No report from Erie County officials.

I was present at last night's Evans Town Board Meeting with other ELECBA & ECFSC Members.We were able to talk and tossed the Marina Income since 2014 to 2020 vs money paid out for dredging, wages insurance etc. and it got heated for awhile.Then the Engineers who did volunteer dredging last year,volunteered to dredge again,but with some expense money from the Town of Evans.If they can negotiate around the liability Insurance issues etc.we may see dredging very soon.Then once Schumer gets FEMA funds the whole Marina ,wall repairs,electric repairs and complete dredging will get done.So I believe we accomplished a lot last and possibly of Sturgeon Point Marina being open in 2021 has a better outlook!

• Like 3

Good but why has it taken so long? The Town is dysfunctional at operating the marina and only lately responded this late of the season. Another boat access site should be constructed at Woodlawn Beach State Park where boating occurred for many years till the Town of Hamburg officials closed public access years ago.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics