Sturgeon point

Has anybody heard if the sandbar got taken care of? I’m Up by Lake Ontario looking to do some perch fishing here in a few weeks and dreading driving to the Catt like last year.. wondering if anybody has heard anything, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I spoke to the Town of Evan’s parks department last week and they said it is “highly unlikely” Sturgeon Point will be open this year. Long term they said they have received two grants and qualified for a third to fix and extend the wall. I hope they get that done this year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United
  • Like 1

What they should do is contact local 17 and discuss having the apprentices once again open the gap. But they really should not haul the sand out but better yet use it to construct a jetty for the equipment to walk out on and use to keep that gap open.  If this town can not handle keeping it open then sell it. No excuses

• Like 1

The State and County collect all the boating sales taxes and registration fees. Gasoline taxes etc. disappear in Albany, Washington and County Hall. Yet the Town somehow is burdened with a bankrupt marina operation. The Town and County collects unreal property taxes for waterfront property tax assessments. Boating on Lake Erie is big business yet nothing happens to promote it.

• Like 1

Agree 100%. Yet if this was state run with how this state can not manage funds just how bad would it be?  There is no good or easy cure to this mess at S.P. outside of adding a additional wall extending out from the west wall of the harbor which would trap the sand between that wall and the gap area.  I took a ride yesterday to look at the mess. Sand is piled over top of the wall left of the gap all the way through east to the shoreline .   Outside of a dredge on a barge and scows removing the sand this safe harbor is nothing more than a tax burden to the town of Evans.   

• Like 1

Agree 100%. Yet if this was state run with how this state can not manage funds just how bad would it be?  There is no good or easy cure to this mess at S.P. outside of adding a additional wall extending out from the west wall of the harbor which would trap the sand between that wall and the gap area.  I took a ride yesterday to look at the mess. Sand is piled over top of the wall left of the gap all the way through east to the shoreline .   Outside of a dredge on a barge and scows removing the sand this safe harbor is nothing more than a tax burden to the town of Evans.   

Based on my discussion with the Town of Evan’s Parks Department, extending the wall is their plan. I doubt that happens this year, but maybe they will surprise us. They said that they had been awarded two grants to fix the wall. I did not ask how much they were for.

Look at the Ontario Marina across the lake at Crystal Beach. Use Google Earth to view it. The Sturgeon Point location is a sand trap on a Point in the lake where sediment in storm water settles out and plugs things up before fall every year. Spending our tax dollars there is like p***** up a drain pipe.  A new marina on the South Shore at a better location should be started. Another problem is the movers and shakers with larger boats and charter businesses are not interested in more trailer boats sharing the fishing on the lake.

• Like 1

The Canadian side doesn't get the wave action the US side gets. That marina was there decades. I worked on its last rehab in the 90s. Spent entire summer there.  The wall was only project we didn't do. That was Army Corp engineers.  From. Day 1 sand attempted to plug that entranceway but back in the day Evans highway dept would keep it clear for the most.  As is stands now a dredge and show is the only way to open it with a reasonable depth.  What makes this more a safety concern is there is no safe harbor between the Catt and Eastern shore of Buffalo Harbor.  

• Like 1

Hard to say when projects like this are run by local govt. Sure we can say yeah they did. But how much money is alloted per year?  It's obvious Covid killed any surplus of funds if they had a surplus.  Govt in general wastes more money than is in its coffers. 

• Like 1

Hard to say when projects like this are run by local govt. Sure we can say yeah they did. But how much money is alloted per year?  It's obvious Covid killed any surplus of funds if they had a surplus.  Govt in general wastes more money than is in its coffers. 

It’s not hard to say, that Marina is the only identity The Town of Evan’s has. Instead of thinking of ways to make it a cash cow they have screwed it into the ground making it a burden on the tax payer. Typical governmental mismanagement.

• Like 1

Apparently our State And County Legislators have dropped the ball on Sturgeon Point Marina sand bar dredging. Last week without launching docks in at the State launch, the parking lot was jammed with vehicles and boat trailers going out into the ice free lake waters to fish for perch. Yesterday with flat calm lake waters good catches were taken in 60 foot of water. This weekend it looks like blow days on the lake.

Just now, jimski2 said:

Apparently our State And County Legislators have dropped the ball on Sturgeon Point Marina sand bar dredging. Last week without launching docks in at the State launch, the parking lot was jammed with vehicles and boat trailers going out into the ice free lake waters to fish for perch. Yesterday with flat calm lake waters good catches were taken in 60 foot of water. This weekend it looks like blow days on the lake. The Catt Creek has three marinas for launching boats. No docks in yet.

• 3 weeks later...

WE NEED YOUR HELP -- BOATERS & ANGLERS

This is the Town of Evans supervisors position on Sturgeon Point Marina.

There is a public meeting next Wednesday, April 21st at 6pm.

We need boaters and anglers to come out and support the opening of the marina. Let's pack the place and make it happen.

Town of Evans Town Hall
8787 Erie Road
Angola NY 14006

Sturgeon Point is the only harbor for safe refuge between the Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo and the marine facilities (not
a harbor and not safe in severe conditions) at the Cattaraugus Creek, so it is very important for mariner’s safety for it to
be available. Examples of port to port mileage along New York waters:
North East, PA to Barcelona, NY 10.5 miles
Barcelona, NY to Dunkirk, NY 15 miles
Dunkirk, NY to Buffalo, NY 30 miles

If Sturgeon Point is operational, the distance is cut nearly in half.
Dunkirk, NY to Sturgeon, NY 18 miles
Sturgeon, NY to Buffalo, NY 12 miles

The elimination of Sturgeon Point Launch & Marina significantly reduces the emergency response on Lake Erie.
Emergency response teams will be forced to travel further to launch and attend to situations on the lake.

• Like 2

Yesterday the same equipment from Union Concrete Contractors was operating at the Hamburg Town Park Ramp. Last year the Operating Engineers Apprentice Program supplied the Operators as their training program. The use of the ramp is restricted to Town Residents due to a deed restriction on the property uses,

• 1 month later...

News report last night said West Herr was paying for the sand bar removal this year. 

Didn't say if marina slips were going to open this year or not.

Didn't say if sand bar was to be fully removed or half assed removed like last year.

News report last night said West Herr was paying for the sand bar removal this year. 
Didn't say if marina slips were going to open this year or not.
Didn't say if sand bar was to be fully removed or half assed removed like last year.

I was at the town office yesterday and they told me the slips would not be open this year just the launch.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics