Lake Erie Copper Rig ?

Puking Dog

I'm thinking of buying 300 ft of 32 lb copper to set up a couple of walleye copper set ups. I have plenty of experience with lead core but am wondering if copper line will help this time of year. I was thinking 2 150 ft rigs or a 175 and a 125 or a 100 and a 200. Anybody out there have any experience with this? Is it a waste of time and money? Will it go deeper than 10 color lead core ?

I'm thinking 300 ft on one reel will be draggin bottom in 80 FOW but don't really know personally.

Thanks in advance for replys.

• Like 1

Thanks Guy's.

I guess I'm going to give it a try. I have a fish hawk TD and I'll use it to measure max actual depth once I get them set up at specific speeds. I think I'm going to start with a 175 footer and  a 125 footer. I'll post how it goes. Hopefully I don't have to wait till next summer for a calm day. I know they are few and far between in the fall, but I'm retired and can go out on a moments notice. Do you know if I can fish them next to lead cores without getting a cluster tangle?

Jim

I’ve run them inside of lead core no problem.  Also set them on boards over slide divers no problem.   Couple years ago I was running three short coppers on one side and ran into a school of junk fish- they wadded up all three lines- real big mess.  To me, it works but lead core easier to deal with.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics