Walleye Eastern Basin Reports

4 hours ago, trapper said:

.Where did you see the perch as I start my fall season for perch wed and would love to know where you found them off SP

Hey Trapper... do you fish for the perch in the Fall precisley the same way as you would in the Spring (ie: emerlads on perch rigs)? Do the bait shops typically have the emeralds in the fall too?  Thanks

Ten Percent I do some what use the same set up as spring but I cast a lot more in the fall let bait drop to bottom then drag it back to boat slowly I think the fish need more movement in the fall the fish in spring will take dead minnows more often that in the fall they are lazy in spring but more active in fall also I use oak leaf grubs when I can get then I gather my own as for minnows I will net my own in the Niagara or just use what ever the shops have I sometime buy large amounts from bait dealer supplier that is emeralds  some days flatheads other days only emeralds' work it depends I also will use small worms  not nit crawlers but you need active fish up off bottom or too many goby's good luck

Small Rapala ice jigs work great, also Needle nose minnow from Thundermist lures is also rest and will catch as many fish as emeralds.
As far as emeralds, I think we have s serious problem. The shortage of this bait, is Great Lakes wide. Fishermen is Ohio are using Golden shiners, do to lack of emeralds. Is it the Golbies are eating the eggs as some people think of something else.time will tell. Went down to ft of ferry, three times no minnows.This is unusual, slaways had minnows this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United Mobile App

That's disappointing about the emeralds. Big Catch told me their were pin heads at Ferry last week, but I didn't check myself.  How about Ontario Street?  Have found that the fall perch are more aggressive and will attack just about anything you can get down there fast. I jig a lot in the fall and consistently get them on the drop. I will also let the perch decide what they want and use Northland rattle spoons and chartreuse plastics along with emeralds. Spring perch just slowly suck a bait in and dead sticking works the best.

Our bait dealers are getting too old and do not have the gumption any
More to catch their own bait. They have become dependant on golden shiners delivered to their stores and they are longer lived in their tanks. If you have unused emeralds, keep them packaged in your freezer with a little salt that keeps them loose in the sandwich bags. Also keep them in a cooler with an ice pack to keep them fresh looking. Heat will cause them to become faded and mushy and hard to keep on your hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

We fished the 39/12 area and out to the Canadian line. A lot of fish down 60 to 70 foot in 75 foot of water. Only picked up three but continuous solid schools everywhere. The other boat had four. Maybe with better winds and wave action things will pick up. It looked like schools of small fish like perch out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fishing has been good out of Dunkirk. 15 eyes Tuesday afternoon and a steelie. Today 4 eyes and a steelie in three hrs. Braid diver back 200 with a black silver chatter stick was good. Any worm setup you put down around 65 produced both days. Fishing is good from 70 ft to 85 ft. In shallow there is more bottom oriented smaller fish. In 85 ft there is some big boys suspended between 50 and 70 ft. The fishing will remain good till late September into early October. The fish are there it's the fisherman whom leave. Other boats out of Dunkirk also had strong days.  Pink Salmon was caught today around 3 lbs, so neat to see.

good luck  

Ron

• Like 1

From the near shore and open water marine forecasts it looks like 2 to 4 footers near and 2 to 4 building to 3 to 5 in open water. Depends on your setup and what you are use to fishing in. Good luck if you go.

fyi...

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/041.html

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/061.html  

23 minutes ago, CSH Kucinski said:

What is everyone thinking about the conditions for tomorrow AM out of Dunkirk?  With the lake being as calm as it is right now I can't imagine that it will build too much before noon tomorrow even with the wind directional change.

The App that I use is showing steady winds out of the south 20 mph with 30 mph gusts at 6AM.  I agree with Stillwater.

Hi Fishmaster, is your app "Windfinder". I find it pretty good and like the actual tracking graph you can click on called the report. 

Take a look at the forecast for Dunkirk tomorrow... Supposed to blow pretty hard through the night hours and into the morning. Might build up pretty quick. You can click on show night time hours to see the overnight detail as well.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/dunkirk_lake_erie

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Hi Fishmaster, is your app "Windfinder". I find it pretty good and like the actual tracking graph you can click on called the report. 

Take a look at the forecast for Dunkirk tomorrow... Supposed to blow pretty hard through the night hours and into the morning. Might build up pretty quick. You can click on show night time hours to see the overnight detail as well.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/dunkirk_lake_erie

The app I used is called iWindsurf. I have used it all year and it is very accurate.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics