Walleye Eastern Basin Reports

Actually another technique we used to have a lot of success with years ago was to take a 3 way swivel, tie a 4 foot lead on it & connect a deep diving plug (like a Bommber Long A). then tie a 6 foot lead on with a flutter spoon (like an Evil Eye or Sutton) and run them off the Big boards about 150' back. It gave the eyes a "choice", do I want to eat a spoon today or a plug. Occassionally we would get "doubles"....Yessir 2 fat eyes at once. Think I may have to dig that old trick out next time.

One thing I notice though is this.... years ago we caught many fish in the upper 25 feet of the water column (June, July & August)..over deep water...Nowadays the fish seem more bottom oriented

I've done the 3 way thing too, but boy you can get a mess! I've had either great results or no results this year off riggers...if I could ever get my riggers to be as consistent as my boards I'd be onto something! I think I might try the rigger popping trick some...I've had that work but havent done it other than to routinely check for dragging small fish and keeping weeds off downlines

Thanks for the info guys  I have been running the double set up all season one with a spoon the other with worn harness I run this rig for samon all the time with good success also been doing good on the eyes just was wondering about the riggers never hear much on them but I do run them but not as productive as leadcore and or steel .

Ps I have trips this fri,sat,and sunday if fish are gone from SP any suggestions on where to go thinking down by Dunkirk or further west yet . haven't fished down their in years any help on where to start  water depth/ gps numbers also anything I need to know like bad rocks in channel exct.

3 way with 2 lines 4 ft long carbon. with small snap swivel run any diver like bomber on one and harness or spoon on other you need 20 lb or better main line doubles are common troll at 1.8-2.0 sometimes I put snap weight 50 ft ahead of rig in strong current to get down . my hottest set up has been deep diver rapala perch #12 with green ranowski  smaller one not sure of size or same diver with green glow harness. 

Fished Dunkirk Sunday managed 9 eyes dumped a couple at the boat.Fished west of port,All fish came from 70 to 100fow. Rigger at 55ft. with copper watermelon hatchet harness took most of the fish.10 color and 40 jet also took fish. Ran a few sticks with no luck. Top 2 fish were about 7 and 8 lbs. rest were nice eaters. Never found any schools just a fish here and there.

Hey Larry good to see ya doin so much eye fishing!!! Are you still adding some extra wieght to your 5 color rods? Also has anybody heard of any good eye fishing east of dunkirk? Center rd. NW of Catt 75-80fow used to be a favorite area this time of year. We prefer coming out of Catt vs Dunkirk.

Looks like the winds will not be in our favor through the weekend on Lake Erie.Run your Lake Erie walleye program on Chautauqua Lake with 3 colors of Lead Core,dipsey set on #3 at 65 ft and downriggers at 20 ft with 50 ft lead.Brown & Gold crankbaits.You will be surprised the shoulders on the walleye at Chautauqua.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics