Walleye Eastern Basin Reports

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:16 PM, Pequod1 said:

Another good day out there. 75' of water, 65' down. Dipseys and riggers. Purple reef runners and black/purple harnesses did the trick.

went out of SP saturday following Yellow Pike's intel.  Saw a small pack of boats rather tight & figured they were on em. Wasn't long and everyone broke up and was searching. not a lot of boats out saturday and didn't see the nets come out very often. We ran 8 fish with 3 nice ones (8-9 pound class fish). Half on harnesses & half on sticks/cranks later in the day. all fish came off the riggers. a majority were caught when we saw fish on the graph & popped rods out fo the riggers. never found any good schools of fish. we had fun and didn't get skunked.

• Like 1

nice job peas247!!! depth? technique? were you marking any pods or schools of walleye? any advice is truly appreciated...and always willing to share from my end.

marked fish all day between 46 and 55 fow...slow troll bottom bouncen harnesses...fish tight to bottom...we boated over 20 fish yesterday...besides the eyes we had 4 sheeps over 10 lbs and a 14ish lb catfish...rods fired all morning...was a fun day

Sent from my LGLS990 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Hoping to head to Barcelona  next week sometime, depending on the weather (3 1/2 hr ride for us). If anyone could offer a little info as a starting point it would be greatly appreciated.  Have heard that there are some limit catches coming in 70-80 ft east of port, but the fish have been running small. Also, head copper blades were performing well.

Thanks again,

Dennis

We were on em good for a couple weeks NW of SP in about 70fow, was there monday and there gone!! Covered lots of water mostly to west trying to find them did not. We did not try east of that 70fow spot thats been so good. Also theres a strong thermocline now,found a 13" break in just a 10ft span of water. It would start at 60 down depending on your location.Wonder whats happening on canadian side, but hate the hassle of crossing border. Oh well, guess a couple days of east winds changes everything!!

yeah we were there last Sat. never found any schools of fish. a couple weeks ago there was a giant school off the Catt too. Intersting tidbit when we came into SP end of the day. got the boat out and a young guy working for the DEC (fisheries unit) approached us with some questions and wanted to measure our fish & take DNA samples. I asked what he knew about the walleye telemetry study that has been ongoing. he laughed and said last spring they saw 1 walleye cover the whole length of lake erie (from near Buffalo-past- the bass islands in Ohio) in 24 hours. That really made me think about the old saying "should have been here yesterday Bobby, we killed em"....LOL...they definitley are roamers

Mike, how often do you get out onto Erie to chase the eyes?

Yeah, your right its no big deal doing the " call in" to go into canadian waters. It is tough cutting down to 2 rods a man with just 2 of us on boat. Ten Percent- I get out twice a week, seldom more. Try and network etc. as much as possible in between trips. Like to get a good box of eyes every time is the goal. Location is hugh IMHO. We heard the fish were gone before we got there monday. Went there anyhow thinking we'd find em. Our guess was to go further west,we guessed wrong and pretty much had wasted day.Still it beats a of work!!

Yep either or. I been out deeper looking for larger fish but you can drag bottom of vanburen to Barcelona inside sixty ft and usually catch fish till October. Bigger eyes have moved deeper suspended. The smaller eyes will hang on that structure all summer. 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics