Walleye Sturgeon point perch

Don't bother going to Sturgeon point. I just came from there (Oct 1, 2020). The sand bar has completely closed off the harbor entrance just as bad as it was at the end of last winter. Unless you kayak fishing, you ain't launching there. I'd be pissed if I payed for a season slip there. I wonder if they are giving partial refunds.

• Like 1

The Town unfortunately is unable to operate the marina and the operation should go to the State Parks or County Parks. They receive the sales taxes and registration fees that the boating industry generates and are responsible for the neglect our boating public has to endure. Driving from Buffalo to Chautauqua County for access to Lake Erie fishing is a terrible expense and a waste of travel time. Come on now, wake up and contact your legislators for better access here in Erie County. Last year Sturgeon Point was shut down till June 20th with no ice on Lake Erie all winter. We must thank the Operating Engineers apprentice training program and Union Concrete equipment for bailing us out for a few months but next year here we go again.

Edited by jimski2

If they don't give anyone refunds then no one is going to rent a slip there even if they do clear out the channel. Has this always been a problem for that launch? Can't see them dredging every year.

Edited by Ric66

They do dredge  every year and have ever since I can remember. I seem to remember last year on this site, that everyone was rejoicing in the millions of dollars approved to fix the wall. What ever happened to all that money cause I didn't see anyone fixing anything or even try.   Blame it on the china virus ?  Did someone take the money to fix the budget problems we always have in this state, virus or not?

The calm water from storms dumps the sediment to the bottom at the marina. That is the problem except the management fails to prepare for the shoaling on the entrance. An extension  marina to a deeper water exit could solve the problem but this will never happen. Look on Google Earth for the Crystal Beach Marina in Ontario to see how it works.

Attached is a picture of harbor entrance Oct 12 2020. Can You imagine what it's going to look like in the spring?  I'm assuming it built up so bad and so fast because the sand was not removed behind the gas dock. In past years all that sand and rocks got removed by who ever got contracted to do the work by the marina. This year only a channel got cleaned out which filled back in fast, cause there was no place for it to spread out.  I'm predicting that after this coming winter, that will be the end of  the marina. What a shame. I hope I'm wrong because it's such a beautiful place.

Sturgeon Point Oct 12 2020.jpg

• Like 1

It's a "strategic location" , and you hate to see it fill in and go unused. With roughly 25 miles as the gull flies between the Catt and Buffalo, there's a safety component to a marina in that location that shouldn't be ignored. As anglers and boaters, the more noise we can make to the local politicians, the better. 

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics