Dipsey Divers

The last 2 times out on Erie when using my dipseys the diver twists and the line to the lure gets wrapped around the main line. It happens at speeds from 1.5-2.5. I had fish break off and I couldn’t figure out why until my last outing and a dipsey didn’t release. I started checking them more often and it continued. Used the settings from 1 to 3 and I have the ring on. Any ideas or suggestions? It was pretty calm so I don’t think it is wave action I was thinking it was caused by currents.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

what fishmaster said...…

you're letting the diver out too fast. I set mine by backing the drag off and letting them slowly "click" their way out to the depth I'm looking for. When they get to that depth, I increase the drag until the drag barely holds them from clicking out more. Often when a fish hits them,  the reel will click and alert you to the hit. 

• Like 1

exactly  what J Sparrow said.  The diver is being pushed back faster than the lure by water pressure. When you stop the diver, the lure catches up and 9 times out of 10 catches your hook above the dipsey instead of trailing the dipsey.  If that happens you can troll all day and catch nothing.  Slow clicker decent is the ticket and you can start setting up another rod while it's clicking out or open up a beer or a sammy.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics