Laketrout ??

:emoticon-0102-bigsmile:    Heading to Barcelona next week for walleyes but also wanted to try verticle jigging for lakers as we do in the Finger Lakes. Anyone have experience doing this? How deep (fow)would we have to go to be in "laker country" . Also, about many fow is the Canadian boundry straight out from Barcelona. Thanks for any input.

I'm sure the lakers relate more to temp than depth. If you have a probe, go to 100 fow, drop it to the bottom and see what the temp is. You're probably looking for low 50's for a down temp..... keep going deeper until you find it. You might also see the thermocline on your graph

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=krkbGj~yeN

Canadian line = 180ish......???

Thanks guys for the great info. J. Sporrow-I printed off your graphic, just what I was looking for. I do have a 100' temp probe to find the thermocline, used it for a starting point for years on Lk Ontario. After we get some 'eyes on ice we'll try jigging up some lakers on our light outfits. Even 2-4 pounders here in the Finger Lakes is a hoot on bait casting rods with 10 lb line.

Again, thanks for all the help. If the weather/wind forecast cooperates next week we'll make the 3 hour run out. Did well this time last year we'll look for a repeat.

I'll give a trip report when we return.

• Like 2

I usually go out from Dunkirk to the breaks...112 -113 ft. Right on the bottom, I don't even use my fishawk. I use hammerhead cowbells and gambler rigs, I'm going to try deathtraps this year. Put a cheater on your riggers, you might pick up a steelie or an eye...good luck !!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

The death traps are what I was using! They took all 12 Lakers I couldn't get a cowbell to fire believe it or not I was stunned

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

The death traps are what I was using! They took all 12 Lakers I couldn't get a cowbell to fire believe it or not I was stunned

I haven't used them yet, do you have trouble with them tangling when you deploy ? 

9 hours ago, Laketrout 1 said:

:emoticon-0102-bigsmile:    Heading to Barcelona next week for walleyes but also wanted to try verticle jigging for lakers as we do in the Finger Lakes. Anyone have experience doing this? How deep (fow)would we have to go to be in "laker country" . Also, about many fow is the Canadian boundry straight out from Barcelona. Thanks for any input.

You don't have to worry about the border, you'll hit 100' waayy before Canada

I haven't used them yet, do you have trouble with them tangling when you deploy ? 
No they ran awesome...they don't pull near as hard as the cowbells which is nice on the riggers so I don't have to crank them down and then forget when I go back to eyes lol.

Storing them is odd...I ended up "folding" them up and using a rubber band to hold tight

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

No they ran awesome...they don't pull near as hard as the cowbells which is nice on the riggers so I don't have to crank them down and then forget when I go back to eyes lol.

Storing them is odd...I ended up "folding" them up and using a rubber band to hold tight

That's awesome... I put mine in gallon zip lock bags... Thanks for the info..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

A bunch of customers store them in bass plastics file bags.  I use zip locs also after they dry.  As far as them out fishing cowbells, some days they do and some days they do not. I have found when currents are heavy, traps out produce cowbells. 

My screen name on LOU, Fish4anything... 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics