Dipsey to lure leader?

How do folks make up their leader from dipsey to lure? The dipsey has a barrel swivel at the terminal end. Do folks put a snap on there to attach worm harnesses, or do you put a snap on the worm harness? How about a leader for a stickbait or spoon?  Plain snap  at each end or snap and a snap swivel? I had a leader ball up in a big knot last time out. Not sure how to prevent that.  Maybe folks just tie off the leader directly to the dipsey. Rather avoid that as it's a problem with storage.

I tie the fluoro leader directly to the diver, and put a snap swivel on the lure end of the leader. At the end of the day, I wrap the leader around the diver. But, you have to check the leader for damage between trips, and replace it when it gets knicked up, and it will. Replacing them every trip or every other trip is pretty normal for me, especially for kings. No leader difference for harnesses, spoons, or sticks in my boat. 

Lots of ways to handle leader to dipsy and it is more about personal preference rather than right or wrong.  Using two snaps or a snap swivel with a snap both work.  Direct tie OK too.Use fluorocarbon leader.  Most of the time you can run same length for plugs and spoons.  Crawler harness on a long lead might require short leader.  I keep my leaders on a Amish Outfitters leader roll.  If you  are spinning up leaders might be from deploying dipsy too fast or a unnoticed trash fish spinning it up.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics