Walleye Catt Ck/Dunkirk area

Started fishing at around 6:30am in 70ft. Didn't get first walleye until later morning. Tough bite. Ended up with 3 walleye, 5 perch, and one silver bass.  All walleye came on jointed rapalas in black and silver. Walleye caught at around 55 ft down trolling at about 2.2 mph. Later used worm harnesses and caught perch.

I believe this is a silver bass? Are they good eating? Never had one before.

unnamed.jpg

Started fishing at around 6:30am in 70ft. Didn't get first walleye until later morning. Tough bite. Ended up with 3 walleye, 5 perch, and one silver bass.  All walleye came on jointed rapalas in black and silver. Walleye caught at around 55 ft down trolling at about 2.2 mph. Later used worm harnesses and caught perch.
I believe this is a silver bass? Are they good eating? Never had one before.
unnamed.thumb.jpg.33ed8057926aecd6c9bca89aadda6701.jpg
Yes, that's a silver bass, no they are oiley and strong...IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

We put in a long day to get our 3 man limit Sunday. Basicly off Center Rd. in 85-75 fow. Best rods were 7 color with stickbait . Divers on #2 out 110-120 with a stickbait.. Rigger down 60-65 with a harness and fluttering it. Light wind from N. in morning and the bite was good. Wind shifted to W. about 10mph and we struggled to get our last couple fish.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mike m. said:

We put in a long day to get our 3 man limit Sunday. Basicly off Center Rd. in 85-75 fow. Best rods were 7 color with stickbait . Divers on #2 out 110-120 with a stickbait.. Rigger down 60-65 with a harness and fluttering it. Light wind from N. in morning and the bite was good. Wind shifted to W. about 10mph and we struggled to get our last couple fish.

Thanks for the report..👍

There are a lot of fish in 70’ to 90’ straight out of Dunkirk. Caught ten Saturday.  Caught them on Dipsys with harnesses and leadcore with sticks.  6 came in the first hour. Then took another 4 hrs to get the other 4.  Most fish were from 45 to 65 down

• Like 1

Thanks Randy for sharing...sure would like to get out on em soon...this work stuff is over rated

There are a lot of fish in 70’ to 90’ straight out of Dunkirk. Caught ten Saturday.  Caught them on Dipsys with harnesses and leadcore with sticks.  6 came in the first hour. Then took another 4 hrs to get the other 4.  Most fish were from 45 to 65 down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyD said:

Thanks for the info. On dipsys, how long of a leader do you run with harnesses?

Run them on 2 1/2 or 3 and use longish leaders...…. 8 - 10'. I like fluoro leaders, 8 - 10 lb test. They will produce. I typically don't run sticks on them, just spoons and harnesses. Warrior flutter spoons, or little warriors are becoming my go to. 

Hey J. Sparrow.... have you lost any tackle yet using light leaders on your dipsy's? I started to a couple years ago and then added the short snubbers on the tail end of the dipsy & went to 20lb fluoro leaders. That solved my issue. At one point I was going to try the slide divers for more of a stealthy setup (lengthen the leader from dipsy to lure), but ended up experimenting with a long fluro leader. I tried 20' leaders and ran this one particular color renosky.....OMG, I couldn't keep fish off that setup. You did have to hand line fish -to-net which wasn't too bad. 

If you want to run a longer leader on a diver, it is hard to beat a slide diver.  The lite bite version with rear trigger also helps with problem of dragging junk fish around.  There is a learning curve in setting them, but once you get it down no problems.  I can run 40’ leader usually with a spoon and typically run 2 to a side.

1 hour ago, Ten Percent said:

Hey J. Sparrow.... have you lost any tackle yet using light leaders on your dipsy's?

I have........ but I religiously check leaders for nicks and abrasions, and replace them at any sign of damage. I feel that the lighter leader material lets spoons have better action in the water, and it results in more fish. For Kings on Ontario, upsize leaders to 15 to 20, but still check them often. They probably get replaced 1x per trip. 

Mr. 580....... I need to try slide divers. 

16 hours ago, RandyD said:

Care to share with the rest of us?

On 7/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, mr 580 said:

J Sparrow if you decide to try slide divers PM me and I’ll pass along some setup tips that can shorten the learning curve on SD’s.  

Yeah, inquiring minds would like to know :emoticon-0105-wink:

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics