Wire dypsy diver question...

Thought I would try the Warfare last year for a lead-core walleye reel....... in less than 1 month, the clicker failed. Hope you have better luck. I used to be a Penn reel fan, and fished 716's for years, and I was hoping to get back to some of their products. 

• Like 1

Thought I would try the Warfare last year for a lead-core walleye reel....... in less than 1 month, the clicker failed. Hope you have better luck. I used to be a Penn reel fan, and fished 716's for years, and I was hoping to get back to some of their products. 
I'll let you know how it works, as soon as I get up and running... Just waiting for things to be delivered... nobody has anything in stock.. I wanted to use big jon otter releases to add a 2nd lure up from my dipsey on my flouro leader...any thoughts if possible and what would be the best way ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I run a 50ft flouro leader between the end of my wire and the dipsy ( to stop kinks when storing and transporting ) I wanted to see if I could run an additional lure on that flouro... So starting at the reel it would be wire, flouro, possible 2nd lure on that flouro,  dypsy, then the leader off the dypsy...

I run a 50ft flouro leader between the end of my wire and the dipsy ( to stop kinks when storing and transporting ) I wanted to see if I could run an additional lure on that flouro... So starting at the reel it would be wire, flouro, possible 2nd lure on that flouro,  dypsy, then the leader off the dypsy...
And you can still spring the dipsy?
I feel like this kind of defeats the purpose of the wire don't it? You lose 50' of wire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

And you can still spring the dipsy?
I feel like this kind of defeats the purpose of the wire don't it? You lose 50' of wire?

This is what I'm wondering about... My brain is tired.. looking for advice 😅

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

And I would be worried about tangles or potentially having the fish wrap the dipsy around itself

That's what I'm thinking too, do you think I'll be able to pop the dipsy with a fluoro leader? that's why I stopped fishing with dipsy's they were too hard to bring in so I'm switching to wire..

I understand the concept of the floro to stop the kinks but I would change the floro to braid. Make sure you use 65lb braid though becuase anything thinner and the knot wont hold, dont ask how I know. The idea of the second lure is a bad idea and would only lead to tangles or other problems.

After losing a dipsey set up because I used thinner braid I got rid of it all and went straight wire to a swivel. I then put on twili tips and reel the swivel to the end of the rods to prevent kinks and pigtails.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

21 minutes ago, fishmaster said:

I understand the concept of the floro to stop the kinks but I would change the floro to braid. Make sure you use 65lb braid though becuase anything thinner and the knot wont hold, dont ask how I know. The idea of the second lure is a bad idea and would only lead to tangles or other problems.

After losing a dipsey set up because I used thinner braid I got rid of it all and went straight wire to a swivel. I then put on twili tips and reel the swivel to the end of the rods to prevent kinks and pigtails.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I'm overthinking this... I'm just going to run straight wire right to the dipsy... Thank you 👍👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Personally I would go wire to dipsy no extra lure...

If you really want the leader I'm with above...braid is the anwser there.

Mono or flouro I don't think you will pop dipsy.

Yep, you guys obviously have more experience than me, I'm going to follow your advice and just run straight wire... Thanks for the help..👍👍

Yep, you guys obviously have more experience than me, I'm going to follow your advice and just run straight wire... Thanks for the help..
Probably not by much but I've made some bad decisions with gear and got some good advice from places like this!

• Like 1

Put about 40 yards of mono on your reel then attach your wire.  Put it on under tension and for a knot the “fish doctor” from Oswego has a simple overhand knot for wire on his website.  The wire being thinner will run your dipsey deeper than braid dipseys.  Forget trying to run a lure ahead of a dipsey.  Wire has benefits but you have to be careful handling as kinks lead to wire breaking.

40 minutes ago, Thumbburn said:

After you get your wire on the reel.... before your first deployment attach the non tripped dipsy and let out all the wire and reel your wire in under good tension so it’s on the reel nice and tight...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Thanks... I appreciate your help

1 hour ago, mr 580 said:

Put about 40 yards of mono on your reel then attach your wire.  Put it on under tension and for a knot the “fish doctor” from Oswego has a simple overhand knot for wire on his website.  The wire being thinner will run your dipsey deeper than braid dipseys.  Forget trying to run a lure ahead of a dipsey.  Wire has benefits but you have to be careful handling as kinks lead to wire breaking.

You got it 👍 I'm grateful for all the help..

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics