Blade baits

I would like to add ive caught multiple species casting and retrieving , but my prefered method is jigging with these,

in deep water. If you dont use braid ,you will have a hard time not only detecting light strikes ,but also feeling the action of

the lure,and if youve picked up debris(zebra mussel) or if the trebles tangled on the decent, which will stop the action.

This year I was introduced to the Cast Master by a semi-pro bass fisherman who claims he catches many eyes while fishing for bass. I got to go along with David on his new bass boat, well that takes some getting used to, when your sitting in the seat you can touch the water, as to 3ft gunnels, anyway we went to a lake called Wallenpawpack, launched at the newer ramp by the dam, it took some time to get the hang of using the lure, as the fish usually hit it on the way down. David showed me and once I got a grip on it the lure became very useful, there was 3 of us on the boat myself and David we fished the Cast Master and my uncle used all kinds of rubber, drop shots he caught a pickerel and David caught 5 or more Lake Erie size smallies and I caught 3 smallies. David did a little better as he had the next size down from mine, so he dug through his bag and found another in the same size as his. You are absolutely correct as to you need braided line, you can actually feel the fish hit the spoon, and he said you need to set the hook as soon as you feel anything!!! The spoons are metal and they will spit the lure quick. So I have purchased a few in differant weights/sizes and color, David had a perch colored one and I had gold/silver, his did out perform mine as he caught a catfish and other species of fish also. They do work. I wish I would have caught an eye to give me a little more boost to give them a whirl in LakeO or Erie.

20 minutes ago, wishinfishin said:

Good stuff Pap , thanks for sharing.

Other brands of blade baits have rattles in them as well, Hedon I believe is one .

Another blade that I use with a lot of faith as it has proven itself in LakeO,Canada, and was advised to try it on Erie was the lure called the cicada, on the rip up it vibrates like mad, they also come in many colors and weights. During the jig bite in the western basin of Erie was the most success, but it didn't out perform like the jig heads that Happy Hooker bait shops sells tipped with a minnow, it's crazy fast and exciting fishing. In Canada I used a lure it was 2"long and 3/8" wide it     had a hammered surface in a polished silver color with a white feather like material around the hook that was attached to the weight via a split ring, just jigging the lure in 30 plus foot of water produced quality walleye not quantity. Tipping the hooks with a night crawler made the fish hang on a little longer providing better hook ups and less just waked at hits, a old Indian guide up there told me where and how to use the lure, if the fish are on the bottom fish for them with this lure he said. He was correct, I came back to the dock with 5 fish all over 3-4#'s the guys were amazed, as they were napping getting ready for the night bite, which those fish were the general run of the mill all, well we kept 18" on up, but no big females. Just a little of my experiences with different blades. Hope you find it interesting. PAP

This picture is why blade baits are priceless. Fishing on the perch grounds and a big hook shows up on the graph! I leave a blade hooked up hanging off the bow roughly half way down in 50-60 ft every now and then or when that hook show up drop it snap-snap-pause - snap=hooked up!!!

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

We hookup on perch typically with wire spinners made old school with wire and spring set for your baitholder snelled red hook with chartreuse colorado blades, orange glow beads then pair two of them with wire lightweight spreaders. Snap about 3/8 oz lead on the spreader clip. Tip the hook with a minnow, drop them with light spinning tackle about a foot off the bottom and it just destroys jacks in the spring on Erie. The beauty of spreaders is you can get double headers, if a goby picks you on one you still have one spinner working. This is really good when your working two setups, one rod is pounding with the boat action vertically pulling the blades up hard then fluttering them down on the drop and you can have the other in your hand to hook up, nothing beats this setup in springtime. Good luck keeping your lines in the water when they get on the bite!

56fc839c069b4_ImageUploadedByLakeErieUni56fc83ac5e074_ImageUploadedByLakeErieUni

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics