Fishing out of North East PA

Maybe things are picking up out of North East. I've been reading the FishUSA reports and they said there was good action between the Ohio line and Walnut creek. Right now the weather reports are T/S's in the afternoon Mon & Tues, sunny Weds & Thurs. That's good for me, wife can't take the afternoon heat anyhow. Leaves me the evening after supper if I want to run out again. I have a cottage rented on the St Lawrence in Canada Sept 8-22. Not sure if the border will be open or not. Might be looking for something on Erie in that time frame.

Got up to North East Sunday afternoon, it was blowing a gale on the lake. When out Mon morning and there was quite a swell on the lake. Just too uncomfortable trying to set lines. Went in about nine, then back out about noon, trying the Shade launch. Got a small walleye and a large sheepshead before thunderstorms  chased us off at 2:30. Tues was rain in the morning then hot and still early afternoon, changing to strong winds again. Never got out on Weds, too much wind. Thurs our last day was nice but we only got 3 nice walleye. They were down 50 feet in 60 FOW. One on a rigger with a stickbait, and 2 on dipsies with a spoon. Tough fishing and even tougher weather. 

Got up to North East Sunday afternoon, it was blowing a gale on the lake. When out Mon morning and there was quite a swell on the lake. Just too uncomfortable trying to set lines. Went in about nine, then back out about noon, trying the Shade launch. Got a small walleye and a large sheepshead before thunderstorms  chased us off at 2:30. Tues was rain in the morning then hot and still early afternoon, changing to strong winds again. Never got out on Weds, too much wind. Thurs our last day was nice but we only got 3 nice walleye. They were down 50 feet in 60 FOW. One on a rigger with a stickbait, and 2 on dipsies with a spoon. Tough fishing and even tougher weather. 
Weather has been crazy unstable...I'll.be out tomorrow and Sunday here's hoping...I'm planning to start in about 50' see what's there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fished today after the weekend blow...went deep to start regretted that quickly as the wind blew some 3-4+ up out there so we made our slow motor back inside to the inside 50' mark. Set down and trolled east from the ws to the marina picked up 7 keepers few shorts and a ton of junk fish. Lake laid down nicely inside around 10 or so but was a brutal first few hours. Probably would have done a little better if we had started inside first. Mainly spoons on dipsys down near bottom in 55-62 fow harnesses were slow and sticks never moved a rod. Still beats working

• Like 3

Beautiful morning out of NE fished 7-10 kept 3 boated some junk fish and lost a bunch of fish at least 4 were eyes...every eye we boated lost spit the hook in the net...light biters today or something. Had something hit a spoon on a dipsy and rip 100' before I got to the rod absolutely smashed it like a salmon would I'm guessing a steelhead had it hooked for 10 seconds lol....good morning with the wife and kids

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Beautiful morning out of NE fished 7-10 kept 3 boated some junk fish and lost a bunch of fish at least 4 were eyes...every eye we boated lost spit the hook in the net...light biters today or something. Had something hit a spoon on a dipsy and rip 100' before I got to the rod absolutely smashed it like a salmon would I'm guessing a steelhead had it hooked for 10 seconds lol....good morning with the wife and kids

How many feet of water were you fishing? Wondering if dipsys and leadcore will do the trick, or I need to bring my D/R's

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics