I'm new to erie fishing. I'm planning to go to walnut creek often this summer. My boat is old but I spent close to 2000 in renovating it. My question is what depth should i start trolling at? My setup is a crankbait, a spoon, and a worm. I dont need a super detailed plan to catch as many fish as possible but I just want to bring some walleye home. If you also tell me some tips it will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 3 weeks later...

these baits don't run great together. spoons need to run at least 2.2 but work better at 2.8. harnesses run better at 1.6 to 2.0  but can be run 2.2. i'm not sure where cranks work best. but this time of yr i'd run all spoons at 2.8 to 3.0. the spoon bite has been awesome the last couple of yrs. if the spoons aren't producing i'd move. right now in the central basin anywhere from 35' to 60' has been producing fish. with 50' to 60' being hot.

When the water is cold in the spring and early summer the fish will be shallow. Run worm harness at 1.2 to 2.2 mph. In the bottom 15 feet of the water you are fishing. So if your in 45 FOW you want your baits 30 to 43 feet down. In the early summer I use down riggers, dipsy divers and lead core to get my baits down to the fish. As the fish get more active (when the water warms up) the bait will move deeper and the walleye will follow. By the end of summer and the start of fall you’ll be fishing in 70 to 100 FOW down about 40 to 65 feet using spoons and fishing at about 2.0 to 2.7 mph. If you follow these guidelines you will have plenty of fish in the freezer by fall and you will have acquired a lot of first hand knowledge, I promise you.. good luck and tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

early in the spring i run cranks at 1.0 to 1.6 as the water warms i try a little faster. as the bite slows and the water warms i switch to harnesses at 1.6 to 2.0 or all spoons at 2.5 to 3.0. a lot of time in the spring i've found fish shallow. but if there deeper a lot of guys use deep divers and let out line then attach clip on weights to get them down. if there deep you can use shallow cranks behind divers ( dipsy, deeper diver, lite bite slide divers) to get them down.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics