2020 Cattaruagus Creek Launches

Was out yesterday also, launched out of the Catt. Picked up two under 15 right away in 75ish. Marked lots at 60 but looked small, no idea what they were. Got 5 for the day but took some patience. Funny story, my rod bends like I hit a boulder. Pick it up and not sure if a snag until it starts hammering line out lol. So yeah I believe it's gotta be a big sheephead. Anyway, get it in and yeah, big sheephead. So my cousin gets it unhooked without having to net it. We continue on and notice this big ass fish who fought like a champ is still floating. Me and my cousin look at each other and are like yeah, let's go, and we want to try revive the thing. I turn the trolling motor around, start heading for the fish which was still belly up, when a damn seagull lands on top of the fish and starts hammering away. I turn to ask Dave if he saw that and WHAM. Dude hits a fat walleye when he was reeling in his lure after turning around to tend to a sheephead lol. Was one of the keepers. Mostly staying off bottom with worm harnesses between 80 and 85. 

• Like 2

Figured we would go out today and catch the game on the radio. Set lines at 1pm and packed it up by 3. The less than 1ft forecast turned into 2-4s. Marked a ton of fish at that same 60ft down over 85 but couldn't get a single rod to go. Heard the bite first thing this morning was better. Atleast they are still there. Surface was 68, 60ft down was 67 on the fish hawk for what its worth. Should of dropped to the bottom for a temp just to see.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fished west of Port in front of windmills Sat from 2:00pm till 6:45. The screen was loaded with fish the whole trip. Also saw occasional small schools of perch. Started in 70fow & went as deep as 95fow with 4 harness rods and 3 stick baits.  Picked up (2) 20 inch fish on harnesses in the 1st hour then it was dead from 3-5pm. Tried all stick baits for an hour with no takers. Switched to all harnesses and started picking at them.  Got (7) 20 -24 inch fish from 5:00pm till 6:45pm. 8 color and seven color were best but also got one on a ten color and a rigger at 65ft. Got (9) but it was frustrating considering the amount of fish on fishfinder. Got a  freakish looking football female that apparently did not release her eggs this spring. Lake got angry at 6:30pm & went from 1-2ft to 4ft real quick which made for a slow, wet ride back to port.

1600650133303.jpg

• Like 2

Went out Sunday off the creek. Stopped at Miller's to buy worms & he said a lot of guy were doing good in the 70's, so we started in 71 fow. The breeze was out of the SE so we trolled with the waves. By the time we hit 80', we had 3 eyes, so just kept working that same area. Ended up with 9, lost 2 on the fight, and threw back one short. All fish caught on harnesses. Riggers down 61-65 fow, just at or above the thermocline. Dipsys on 2.5 setting back 165'. The lake laid down for about 2 hours, but a ENE breeze started about 1pm, and by 2 it was 2-3 footers, so we packed up and headed for the creek. Made it home to watch the rest of the game.

• Like 4

I went out on Saturday AM and set up in 75ft and got one right away, then took a while to get the second one. The third one got caught up in my rigger wire and took off with my J9 silver and black jointed rapala which is what I caught all three fish on. I then had a "little accident" and cut my finger pretty good on my rigger wire. Thought my day was over but patched myself up. Lucky I had a first aid kit. Caught two more walleye so ended up 4/5, all on jointed rapalas. All fish were caught in about 75ft about 10ft off the bottom going about 1.9 mph. When I got to deeper water marked fish but could not get any to hit. Saw a bunch of boats way deep.

When home and bought two more silver and black rapalas. Hard to find them. Most places are out of stock.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Went with my buddy from 12-530pm today. First tried to find perch with no luck.  Plenty of walleye on the fishfinder in 75-85 fow. Got one on 10 color black/silver Bayrat and lost one at the boat on 8 color orange tiger Bayrat. Weatherman forecast 1ft or less and 5mph winds. We had 3ft waves all day and 4ft at the end of the day.

It was tough day for us. Everybody we spoke to at the launch when we launched and retrieved had a bad day. We did see Captian Joe Fonzi cleaning a huge pile of perch when we were leaving. 

• Like 3

We were out yesterday too. Had high hopes since previous trip we had 18 in box by 11am. Worked same water75-85 fow North to NW of the Catt. At noon we had 1 walleye and called it a day. Screen was not anything compared to last time out. We had 65 surface temp and 65 down 70 on the rigger. The 1 we got came on the rigger on a stickbait. We never do well when temp is warm top to bottom. Like to find that thermocline this time of year . Baitfish are usually hiding out in that cold water and eyes are right above. If we were going again I'd try deeper water off Dunkirk, 90-110 fow. Anyhow we're done for the year. Good luck to anyone stll fishing !! 

I got skunked. This is my first year fishing Lake Erie but it just seems like you get waves coming at you from every angle. Tough to keep a constant speed. A week ago I took a friend and his father fishing and both got sick. Hope to get out on Lake O once or twice for perch before putting the boat up.

I got skunked. This is my first year fishing Lake Erie but it just seems like you get waves coming at you from every angle. Tough to keep a constant speed. A week ago I took a friend and his father fishing and both got sick. Hope to get out on Lake O once or twice for perch before putting the boat up.
Washing machine lol been a tough year for alot of people

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics