2020 Cattaruagus Creek Launches

Fished Tuesday 11-4 right off the creek. Got 5, lost 2 on the fight. Also got 3 shepherd, and a smallmouth. All in 55' on harnesses, various colors, but with copper backs. One harness had a skirt which caught 3 fish. All suspended between 35-45 fow. Nothing caught off the bottom. Walleye 18-22". All slow trolling 1.1 to 1.3. Feels like it's starting to pick up.

• Like 2

Do something different. The walleyes have changed their places now with the record water temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Exactly, that’s why its called fishing and not catching. Need to change it up with this record heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• 2 weeks later...

I fished with my daughter today out of the Catt, and we wound up with 8 walleyes from about 6 til noon. We fished 80 - 90 fow, and there was a pretty strong temperature break about 60 feet down. Most of our fish came on spoons off the wire divers set back 200, or off the riggers at 65 with harnesses...…. the first 2 fish came on 7 color cores with sticks. And that was it for the cores...… We never really marked a lot of fish, and just picked away at them all day, but I don't think we boated a fish after 10:30. 

Only 2 of the 8 had anything in their stomachs, and the contents were smaller smelt...… from what I could tell....

Edited by J. Sparrow
  • Like 2

Went today for only our second trip out of Catt. July 4 was our other trip. ZILCH both times! Wow, perplexing what has happened this year compared to the last 2 or 3. Every one has a theory. My brother in law from PA fished out of Erie last week and got a 2 man limit. We saw very little on our screen either. Saw some bait though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garrymny said:

Went today for only our second trip out of Catt. July 4 was our other trip. ZILCH both times! Wow, perplexing what has happened this year compared to the last 2 or 3. Every one has a theory. My brother in law from PA fished out of Erie last week and got a 2 man limit. We saw very little on our screen either. Saw some bait though.

What depth of water did you fish Garry? I was hoping to make an attempt this weekend. 

Went out off the creek today, got 4 walleye & 4 perch, too many sheephead & silver bass. Started at 68' with lots of mark on the screen. Best area was between 68-73 fow. Dipsys on 3 at 155' on a watermelon harness got 3 walleye, and the other came off the rigger 3' off the bottom. Sticks were not working for us. The screen today was loaded with fish like it should for mid summer, but the bite was light. We didn't get any releases & checked bait often. Lots of boats in the area.

• Like 2

Went out this morning and picked up a couple of fat 20"rs. Both off the DR using the flutter technique on red shaded harnesses. Fished in 70 to 90 FOW down 65 to 75'. No takers on spoon or sticks even though the screen showed them down there in that range. Lost another couple but although it was slow still a wonderful day on the lake.

• Like 2

Sat 8/8, 6:30am-12:30pm.  Screen was Great slightly west of Catt in 60-65fow but only (1) walleye after 1 1/2 hours so we moved out to 85fow & trolled Nortwest. Picked up (11) more in 85-95fow.  7 & 10 color caught majority only a couple on downriggers. Harnesses with pink worked best. 1.8-2.0mph.  Got (3) big white bass, (2) big perch, (1) 15lb lake trout, (1) small steelhead and a sheepshead.

Walleye were all 20-24".

• Like 2

Sat 8/8, 6:30am-12:30pm.  Screen was Great slightly west of Catt in 60-65fow but only (1) walleye after 1 1/2 hours so we moved out to 85fow & trolled Nortwest. Picked up (11) more in 85-95fow.  7 & 10 color caught majority only a couple on downriggers. Harnesses with pink worked best. 1.8-2.0mph.  Got (3) big white bass, (2) big perch, (1) 15lb lake trout, (1) small steelhead and a sheepshead.
Walleye were all 20-24".

Thanks for report I am hoping to get out Tuesday been 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Good Luck Dcra. Dont be discouraged if you dont have a good screen in the deeper water.  We were seeing mostly random suspended fish an we picked at them with the 7 & 10 colors.  Once in a while the downrigger balls would go right through stacks of fish on the bottom wit no takers. The few I got on the downriggers was when I raised them to 55ft & 65ft in 90fow. BTW  there were ALOT of boats fishing today!!!

Picked up 10 walleye and 1 small rainbow today in 85-90 fow, just west of the Catt ,mostly off dipsys @180’ on #3 setting , and 150-165 on#1, purple harness ruled the day , 3 off the riggers @ 65’ lots of bait on the bottom but no biters below 65’

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United

We got a 2 man limit yesterday N of the Catt in 75 - 80 fow. Sticks and lead-core (10 colors) worked well. We had the best luck finding some cooler water (68 - 70F) down 65 feet. Mass Confusion Colorado harnesses on the riggers and purple bay rats on the cores. 

• Like 3

My wife and I had another good day out of the Catt yesterday, fishing between there and Dunkirk in 75 - 80 fow. Riggers with harnesses did the most damage. 10 colors and sticks also produced, but not as much.

There's an east component to the forecasted wind through Sunday. I fear that's gonna change things a little. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics