Casting Keitech swimbaits at night for walleye

Casting action tails on jigheads has become one of the hottest techniques out there in walleye fishing.  I've been using different plastics off and on trying to find something easier and more consistent than casting sticks.  I love the art of stickbaits, but it's difficut to teach and on bright clear nights sticks don't work nearly as well.  Until the last few years I couldn't find a swimbait that I could fish slow enough to really produce.  The Keitech swing impact swimbait has changed night casting for me.  The swing impact can be fished on a 1/16 ounce tungsten jighead so slow you can almost pause it, or on heavier jigs you can get the same presentation in deeper water.  Most swimbaits require a heavier jig to keep them upright, and just can't be fished slow enough.  I don't jig these swimbaits and simply slow roll them parallel to the structure I'm fishing.  Last year I used these swimbaits nearly exclusively over sticks on my charters.  This year because I can't do any charters I've put in some serious hours with a couple of the best stick fisherman I know and the swimbait in the hands of a 9 year old was more effective.  My go-to color at night is the sight flash, and I've had success with the 4" swing impact up to the 5.8" fat.  Here is a couple pics of the huge 5.8" on a 1/2 ounce j will jig with a 5/0 hook.  Every single fish just chokes these baits.  The bread and butter in shallow is the 4.5" on 1/8 tungsten jighead with a 3/0 hook.  If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I have an affiliate code to share if anyone wants to try em!25610.thumb.jpeg.958631d0248f39936888dfdf5e69dc49.jpeg25612.thumb.jpeg.7de1877f101e8da19f6628716413a4b1.jpeg 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Keitech swimbaits work well in the daytime too.  Check my post and pictures in Chautauqua section.  I was using 4"  swim bait with 1/4 once jig 3/0 hook averaging an eye every other cast yesterday.  I figured they would just as well in day as night and they do.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics