20hp??

Watch the winds, anything over 15 mph will make things uncomfortable no matter what size boat you go out in. The main decision is to avoid fishing in the "money contests". Money makes your mind to make stupid decisions.

Edited by jimski2

I run a 17ft sea nymph fish and ski configured to just a fishing boat with a 20hp tohatsu 4stroke will this be ok on Lake Erie or am I crazy looking to walleye fish mainly

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Back in the late 70's and early 80's my dad and I fished Erie with a 16' crestliner with a Johnson 25. We had to pick our days and didn't wander too far from shore.

You'll need to pick your days. Days where the winds are less than 15 knots and anything out of the south are your friend.

The biggest risk is if the lake gets rough or a summer squall comes thru, you wont have enough power to push thru / over a wave. Happened to us once, we were 3 miles west of the harbor and a mile off shore. Lake went from flat to angry in no time and we couldnt make headway. We, and about 10 other boats ended up beaching and waiting it out under a willow tree.

There is also no replacement for experience. You only gain experience by being on the lake and making a few mistakes. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics