Sturgeon Point 2020

Need a little help. On Thursday a buddy and me will be out on Erie off of Sturgeon Point and we have never fished this area before. I’m not looking for your secret spots but any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
We went out of Sturgeon POINT last week and bottomed out on the sand bar at the harbor entrance both going out and coming in and my engine was way up. I will not launch there again this year. I would recommend going to the cat.

Sent from my LML413DL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

We went out of Sturgeon POINT last week and bottomed out on the sand bar at the harbor entrance both going out and coming in and my engine was way up. I will not launch there again this year. I would recommend going to the cat.

Sent from my LML413DL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Can you help me with what the CAT is? I don’t want to screw our boat up so we won’t launch there. The only place we’ve ever fished on Erie is out of Dunkirk.

Can you help me with what the CAT is? I don’t want to screw our boat up so we won’t launch there. The only place we’ve ever fished on Erie is out of Dunkirk.

Cattaraugus Creek Launch at Sunset Bay, Silver Creek exit from I-90. Try 80-90fow straight out from the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Cattaraugus Creek Launch at Sunset Bay, Silver Creek exit from I-90. Try 80-90fow straight out from the creek.

• 2 months later...

The Hamburg Sun newspaper reported the Evans Town Supervisor in her proposed 2021 budget had funding for dredging the The Sturgeon Point Marina. Perhaps they realized the loss of funding from marina users and travel costs for resident's travel to access the lake in their town is worth the maintenance costs.

Edited by jimski2

Mary Hosler had a budget number last year too.  She decided not to spend it since the dredging was done by volunteers.  Where did that money go?  Why did they let the sand bar build up forcing early closure of the marina?  Slip holders like me lost nearly half the season and got no prorated refund.  She needs to be replaced she is mismanaging the resources in the Town of Evans.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I agree, I was saying the same thing.  Why cant the town contact some of the gravel companies and see if they will do it for free. They used to suck up the gravel at the head of Strawberry Island years ago for construction, they had huge piles of gravel and sand at the foot of Hertel . Or is it a DEC thing and red tape that stops it ? But it sounds like a win, win if it got through.

Last years dredge project was completed by apprentice operating engineers union . Union Concrete-donated the equipment . For a year with no
Ice on the lake and the walleye season open for two weeks it was frustrating for boaters here in the Southtown area. The town should give the marina to the County or State Parks for operation. They received all our registration fees and sales taxes that they used nothing here. Think how much sales and fuel taxes that disappeared. The money for the operation is stolen from the boating community.

• Like 3

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics