Sturgeon Point 2020

On 7/18/2020 at 6:48 PM, ws6rufus said:

If the Research Buoy is in Canada, I need a Lowrance:emoticon-0106-crying:.

Im pretty sure we were in the US.

I had never seen it before. Big square yellow contraption covered with solar panels with weather vanes on each corner. Probably atleast 10ft square.

I should have taken a photo.  

Anybody else seen it?

The weather buoy is almost 10 feet tall, is in 88.5 feet of water. It's location is 42.740 N 79.290 W (42°44'24" N 79°17'24" W) and looks similar to the photo I've posted. Load the lat and long I've posted in Google Maps, it will show its exact location to the border.

GNB150624_Andrew_848x480_470811203858.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JustFishin..... said:

Went to 67 FOW, this morning fished 7a-11a. Great screen but tight lips. Hit 2 and one perch tried just about everything. I’ll look for cooler water next time out i think. Out near the line and/or deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Thanks for the report JustFishin !! Better luck next time out..

Fished today 6:30-noon. west of the Reseach Buoy. 65-70 FOW. Landed (15) walleye 17"-25" & (1) 33".  2 big white bass, a couple perch & a couple sheepshead.

7  color lead core caught the majority. A few on downriggers near the bottom. Worm harnesses with pink in them were  best

Water was 78 on surface and 58 at 70ft. 

20200725_092140.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Canuknucklehead said:

The weather buoy is almost 10 feet tall, is in 88.5 feet of water. It's location is 42.740 N 79.290 W (42°44'24" N 79°17'24" W) and looks similar to the photo I've posted. Load the lat and long I've posted in Google Maps, it will show its exact location to the border.

GNB150624_Andrew_848x480_470811203858.jpg

Is this the port colborne buoy?

25 minutes ago, ws6rufus said:

Fished today 6:30-noon. west of the Reseach Buoy. 65-70 FOW. Landed (15) walleye 17"-25" & (1) 33".  2 big white bass, a couple perch & a couple sheepshead.

7  color lead core caught the majority. A few on downriggers near the bottom. Worm harnesses with pink in them were  best

Water was 78 on surface and 58 at 70ft. 

20200725_092140.jpg

Nice was there Tuesday couldn't get a bite.

The Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research, led by Jill Crossman, has established buoys in Lake Erie to measure nutrient levels and report them back via cellular network. It's a first for the Great Lakes.

"The buoys are equipped with real-time sensors, so it takes the data and analyzes it and pings the data back," said Crossman. "I can text the buoys and ask them how they're doing or what the phosphorous concentration is right now."

The buoys are based at Sturgeon Creek in Leamington, Ont. and along the shoreline of Pigeon Bay in Lake Erie. They will stay in place until early November and will then be moved to a different tributary to collect more data. 

Real-time data monitoring buoys a first for Great Lakes

• Like 2

Fished from 1pm till dark out by the line in front of Sturgeon Point in 62 to 64 fow. Overall it was slow but we did manage 4 between 16 and 21 inches. All on harnesses while drifting with bottom bouncers. Two perch as well. Several people we talked to said it was slow including the DEC guy at the launch taking surveys.20200731_003928.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

There seemed to be far fewer marks than last week when we were there. Quite a few boats were trolling west of us a mile or two. Haven't seen any reports saying they did any better. A few guys coming in from the morning hours when we were heading out said they didn't catch anything and had trouble finding any marks. Maybe they headed west a bit?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Thursday out of SP a little west but to the line in 70’. Tried drifting with bottom bouncers. Never moved a rod, screen looked good but.......

The exit of the Marina is filling back in so if you launch be sure to pay attention to both sides. Returning to port at night might be tough.

• Like 1

yestarday my prop hit on the way out another boat was coming in i had to go a little to the right and i got skunked tried in the evening

jeff

Edited by milt

yestarday my prop hit on the way out another boat was coming in i had to go a little to the right and i got skunked tried in the evening
                                                            jeff

Raise your engine trim up to save your prop in shallow water.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics