Walleye NE marina fishing report 6-8-16

Conditions : 2-4's.....occasional 5. It was a real cookie tossing machine today.....like a washing machine.

Species caught : Walleye, perch, WB, catfish and sheep-head

Report : Stopped at East side angler to get bait and to get a good fishing report. Was told to head west rather than east. Decided to not follow directions and head to NE marina anyways. Left the launch and headed towards the mountain, setting up in 45 FOW. Trolled east up to about 70 FOW. Decided it was too rough to head the few miles to the mountain. Trolled with the waves till about 8:00am, NOTHING. Decided to troll against the waves back west. Picked up one 19" walleye on a stinger, a few decent drum on a tail-dancer, and one perch on a harness.

Decided to return west and hit some schools I marked on the Humminbird. Set up in 62 FOW and proceeded to have a decent day with the perch, but had a hard time keeping anchored. So, decided to drift. Best fish of the day was a 10ish pound channel cat. Ended up with over 20 decent perch, 3 drum, catfish and single walleye.

Walleye was grilled for dinner last night, perch and white bass will be for a fish fry......and drum will go on the open fire come Friday. SANY0383.JPGSANY0375.JPGSANY0361.JPGSANY0357.JPG

Thanks J. Sparrow......it was a rough day with some of the guys getting a bit of dock rock and spilling their beans, but we all toughed it out. The chum seemed to help !!! lol.

Steelie, yep.....I eat them quite a bit. I understand that is quite a change from the guys that kill them needlessly.....but my moral ethics tell me that if you are going to kill it, or harm it....you best eat it. Two of smaller drum were attempted to be released, but they were not going to make it. They just can't handle the quick depth change from 60 FOW up to the surface. If I can't catch and release, I catch and eat. No matter what species it is, a true sportsman's obligation is to make sure the animal does not go to waste. I even eat carp if they can not be released unharmed.

I took a friend out last year, he kept all the white bass. Loved em he said... I'm not much of a fish eater, walleye about 5 times a year is it for me. I ve released over 30 eyes this year alone. Don't worry though, I will kill plenty in the coming months, always have fish to give friends. I'm always out for the trophy fish and the sport of it.I have been told drum is good smoked or made into fish cakes but I wouldn't know LOL

Problem Child........

I kill my fair share of walleyes myself ! It is about the only fish my wife will actually eat.

Drum are a decent eating fish.....not my favorite by far, but not too bad. Smoked is pretty good, but the texture is what turns most people off. It isn't a very white or flakey meat. There is a grain to the meat, kinda like the texture of a shrimp (not sure that is a great example). I enjoy them over an open fire, gutted and head removed....and skin on. I usually let it burn on the outside pretty good. When it is done the skin pulls right off and you can pick it apart with your fingers. It is really good with a green tomato put on the open fire beside it, then cut into chunks and paired with the fish. Lots of beer is also good with sheep-head ! Maybe that is why we think it taste good !!

Never.....and I mean never deep fry it !! What a terrible fish deep-fried.

White bass are a bit more oily than perch, but I think they have more flavor. I have had fish fry's before where most people didn't know the difference. Again....probably the beer.

Going to hit the lake again Saturday or Sunday if weather permits. If not, off to catfish at Pymy.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics