Ontario commercial fishery is shut down with all boats tied up.

Every business is shut down since the markets for fish are zero with the restaurant trade closed. The Employment situation is critical there as it is here. We have the same crisis on our east coast with no movement of even frozen stock. Lobster dropped from $10 a pound to less than $2 a pound now. Seafood counters here are almost void of fresh fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Not sure how many years that the fish reproductions are calculated to become a keeper. Such as Walleye or how it works for perch to become a substantial size in lake Erie. I know on most lakes it's based on forage fish. Anyways say it 4 years to make a decient fish in both species we shall see how this plays out for the future. But when fishing is opened again I only hope they dont go back netting at a vengeance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

It may be difficult to believe but the commercial fishing is managed to receive the top dollar for their product, not the maximum poundage. The target perch is about ten inches not 12 to 14 inches. The large perch are left to breed more young ones. The walleye target is 16 to 18 inches, the good eaters we call them. Their price per pound is higher than the jumbo walleye we brag about. Young cattle, chickens and pork with less fat are prime, not chewy soup chickens type as good farmers know.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics