Minnow question.

The old coots who run the bait shops are satisfied with golden shiners that are delivered to their stores and the high price they receive for a limited number. If you can dip some minnows now, do so, and freeze and salt them up in sandwich bags. This is a banner year for yellow perch so far and the price for perch fillets in Ohio and Michigan is $23 a pound. 

Thanks Jimski that pretty much was my thought. I wasn't too sure at this time of year if the fish were that particular to live vs salted.  I'm not looking to sell. It's been way too many years sense I've had a good Perch feist. What I get if any goes right in freezer. That of course is all counting on I get any at all.   Than kn s for the help. Your name here looks familiar to I Shanty name. Figure you one in same. 

Think it is worth noting that the live bait business changed drastically in NY with laws designed to prevent spread of VHS and requirement of sale of certified bait.  Pretty specific regulations regarding bait use, receipt keeping, and transport corridors.  Not easy or cheap to be a bait dealer today-plus having to deal with current business restrictions.

Think it is worth noting that the live bait business changed drastically in NY with laws designed to prevent spread of VHS and requirement of sale of certified bait.  Pretty specific regulations regarding bait use, receipt keeping, and transport corridors.  Not easy or cheap to be a bait dealer today-plus having to deal with current business restrictions.
Oh I dont disagree with what your saying but keeping bait from the river to use in lake also keeps them In the corridor your speaking of. I also remember a baitshop having uncertified minnows in a separate tank just for the corridor usage. This whole virus thing has baitshop closed which will kill some fishing on inland lakes. I asked the question because i wasn't sure some of you guys didnt have a spot along breakwall where you could easily dip a hundred minnows out of the boat. I fish by myself most the time and not wanting to beat the crap out of my new boat I thought I might get a response to the question. I'm hoping to be out this weekend so if you see a Blue Lund it will be me. I'm not trying to bust in on any spots but sure as hell will need some help as I said I was mostly a inland lake fisherman popping his cherry on Erie this year. Tight lines to all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

Be aware that any uncaught sport fishing quota of walleye and perch is granted to Ontario commercial fishermen to make up for their quota loss allotted to sport fishermen. I picked this up from an Ohio newspaper.

Call me thick. What are you saying here? Do you mean their quota will increase as species population increase?  I mean how can anyone realistically put a number on what we sport fishermen catch? Unless they use charter fishermen's take as a base line. 

1 hour ago, Coldfeet said:

I mean how can anyone realistically put a number on what we sport fishermen catch?

I don't know how they do it, but they do it.  You'll see quotas established for walleyes and perch based on annual estimates of both commercial and sport-fishing take. 

Yeah I can only imagine.  I Fish up in Canada a lot on lake nippising. The Canadian laws are nonsense. The natives up there gill netted the french river for years. Now you can not buy a damn fish in that lake.  There slot limits and daily limits are squat.  Yet the dumps up there are loaded with northerns and muskie because they wont sell them. Their only interest is the walleye. There are fish stand all along the roads loaded with eye fillets.  But yet Ontarion does nothing to stop the slaughter. 

The money the Canadians make exporting fish to the USA is worth more to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
Well we all know that money talks. Business of sales of fish from border waters never should be allowed. We sportsmen dont have a voice big enough to shut it down. But we sportsmen will be the first to see reduced creel limits or even closed seasons if numbers deplete. Yet many times some of our own the slob outdoorsmen who continually rape our waters or land by over harvesting do the same. Myself I've seen too many smaller lakes over harvested by ice fishermen who refuse to believe our waters are being stripped out by heavy fishing and harvesting of egg laden fish during winter months. It's my theory on that matter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

The Catt Creek ramp for the state launched will be closed Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday while docks are being installed. Friday, Saturday and Sunday it will be available for public use and maybe the launch docks may be in. The Hanover Ramp I have no report on.

Talked to guy yesterday. Hanover ramps were not in as of yet. Waders are needed to launch. They fished to right of creek 55 to 60fow. Did very well. It was not my cup of tea to take wife out or for my new boat to risk a complete pain in the arse launch risking scaring up the new boat. If you could refresh my memories on Catt creek launch sites and reference to creek location. I surely would appreciate it. Thanks. Oh yeah sitting here waiting for skys to clear a little then heading out somewhere. 

Our failure to take more perch and walleyes is because too much fishing concentrated on bass and other fish. A big reason is the cleaning and processing of our catch is a lost art since our youth have no interests in fish cleaning, as well as their parents. At the fishing club meetings very few of the anglers are under 60 years old. Face it fishing has lost interest like pheasant , rabbit and squirrel hunting where cleaning of your game is a lost art.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

WHen you speak of club are you referring to South Town Walleye?  Im not a member but wouldn't mind joining.  I sort of agree with the facts that yeah many young kids are not interested in the outdoors. But that to be honest is due to parents who really got little to no interest in it too. I raised my kid from the age of 5 to get himself out in the woods. throughout the winter small game hunting was a  mainstay. for us. His passion was waterfowl much like mine. Turkey, rabbit, pheasant or anything we could hunt even good old Chuck hunting was our way of screwing off.  As far as fishing goes. hell he got broke in at birth. We had a place on Silver. went weekly to it then of course ice fished it as much as possible.  He is on of a select few who loved the outdoors. although we got into a big ass fight we no longer speak which sux I did my best teaching him how to get along in the outdoors. What I will miss is 2 grand sons who who the hell knows if they get to wet a line or not.  Most of this generation we didnt show our kids what it would be to survive if needed on nature. its too bad too. Im more than willing to still show others how to do it.  I got to laugh at the Bass statement. Everyone wants to be a bass fisherman. LOL   Hell Id take Perch any day Northern Pike second then Eyes as far as table fare goes.  Crappies fits right in there with panfish but seems they are getting scarce to find at least good keepers Id say.  I still put blame on the decline of quality fish  due to ice fishing. Too many fish are egg laiden during winter then stripped out well before they had a chance to spawn out. Years ago Im talking the 60s and 70s we ice fished in the open. a light duty wind break a coffee can filled with charcoal for heat and thats it. Now days huts propane heat and a -10 day is still 70 degrees inside the hut. makes it a little to comfortable to sit out on the ice and put a limit of fish in a bucket . Too many big breaders are getting stripped out and no time for recovery on a lake.  Hope to catch up with you sometime seems we got a lot in common it could be a good time BSing out on the water

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics