12V to 24V to accommodate new trolling motor

greg2ha

Look for advice on changing up a trolling motor to 24V. I have been running 12V Minn Kota Power Drive 40lb . The new I purchased is a 24V Minn Kota Terrova 80lb.

Everything I have read and watched tells me I need to upgrade wiring ad breaker. Wire fish finders to the starting battery. I also purchased a 3 bank charger that I will also need to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

I assume you know how to wire the batteries for 24v. but just in case you hook the neg of one battery to the pos of the other battery then use the unused posts to the trolling motor. if you have any questions about this feel free to message me. I always wire my ff to the starting battery.

Thanks for the advice. It just seems overwhelming. I am on a job right now and have an electrician getting me the stuff for the wiring. 6g wire I believe is what it is calling for. I am also looking for a battery tray to run batteries online and not side by side. I think I have to keep batteries where mine is located now cause I’m not sure the charging leads will make it farther forward where I thought about moving it to. Right now my boat is in the winter catch all position so I need to empty it and start laying stuff out and see how it all lays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For USCG safety regulation make sure your battery box has a plastic cover. This prevent an accidental drop of a wrench across the terminals with a spark igniting the hydrogen gas in the battery from being charged and a battery explosion will destroy your battery.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics