Sturgeon Point sand bar 2/12/2020

It's hard to believe that elected officials can let this persist. I'm sure Lake Erie boating generates millions of dollars of income for Erie County small business ….. you name it..... boat sales, corner stores, gas stations, tourism dollars, bait sales, launch fees, dock fees, restaurants, motels ..... I just don't get it. If the Sturgeon Point marina is constructed such that annual dredging is needed, how is there not funds available to do so? It's the one thing that should be funded to ensure $'s keep flowing into the local community. Why isn't the local small business community up in arms? 

Also, if the SP launch marina is not available, what's that going to do to the launch traffic at SBH and the Catt? At a time when we'll be trying to keep apart launch conditions will force a higher concentrations of people launching boats. 

I live in Monroe county,  bought my most recent boat from a dealer in Derby, make 15 trips per year to Lake Erie for perch and walleyes...… buying bait and tackle and gas and munchies local to where ever I launch...… I don't understand how local business aren't fuming over this. Local officials need to be replaced...……. Sure seems nuts to me that they haven't been already.

Edited by J. Sparrow

Thirty miles of Lake Erie shoreline in Erie County with no boating access for the public is a failure of our officials to at least open up the Sturgeon Point boat ramps. Using the Walleye season opener as an excuse to delay opening up the harbor there is a bunch of incompetence. With all the sales taxes, registration fees, fishing license sales collected from the marine community the excuse there is no money says to vote out the do nothing legislators, their stooges and department heads to get something done NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Hole Called Albany and County Hall where your registration, sales taxes on your boat, equipment, fishing license, Federal tax on fishing equipment, and a myriad of other fees flow is off the hook now. Remember when they show up to shake your hand, kick them in the behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Sturgeon pointToday, the Town Board amended pricing for the 2020 season for launching.

Daily Launch - $15
Seasonal Launch Pass - $175

Senior (65 or older) / Veteran
Daily Launch $10
Seasonal Launch Pass - $110

They will address slips in next weeks meeting but did state rates will remain the same (NO increases or pro-rating for the remainder of the 2020 season)

EDIT: The Town Board also does not plan to have a full time night guard - which means there will be no security at night for the slip holders and dry docks. We suggest you voice your concerns via email to your elected officials.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Due to weather and a Yuke breakdown, the dredging project will not be completed for this weekend. We have rented a Yuke from another company to continue the momentum of this community project.

We will keep you posted on a completion date.

Sent from my LML413DL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics