Bethlehem Steel Site Project Update

Well turns out meeting was about just the area infront by NY Route 5 for Industrial Development ,none of the areas in back at waterfront. Jimski2 was able to make his point about water access.I reminded them about the Smokes Creek eco system and the important walleye ,bass & steelhead spawning habitat that needs to be protected above all in any rezoning & land development. Also asked for green space access along Smokes Creek for Fishing!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Yes ,they only seem to care about added tax dollar collection thru Industrial Development! We will not stop our pursuit for Lake access here,will start pressure on NYSDEC for green space along Smokes Creek,with a Public Park where creek enters Lake Erie.Maybe Water Keepers might help in this one also!We have to raise awareness to Lackawana Public about how they have all that Lake Front and No Access.
Jim,it was a pleasure finally meeting you in person.

Millions of dollars for private industrial development. Nothing for public community use. The guys in the suits know how milk the public treasury while the local aid for the community is nothing.

• Like 1

It would be an eye opener if the state releases the data on boating and equipment like electronics sales tax collections, registration fees for boats and trailer registration collections and fuel taxes when they claim there is no money available for boat ramps along the sixty miles of Lake Erie shoreline in New York State. This not just sport fishing boats but jet ski boats, sail boats, kayaks and stand up boards. A lot of voters there but no money for community use development here for public use.  

On one parcels they are building a multi tenet building to lease out space!So there is no reason they can't make green space for fishing and hiking along Smokes Creek to Lake Erie as part of the whole restoration of the land area.Lackawanna Residents deserve some access to the Lake Erie Shoreline!

But these industrial projects usually get tax breaks for the next how ever many years so when you break the numbers down only a few make money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Billions of “tax credit” dollars were used to “environmental “ clean up of industrial and power plants here and they are all closed now. No heavy industry is ever returning here as more steel mills are shutting down now due to modernization using electric arc furnaces using scrap steel to produce continuous casting process for producing strip mill steel and billets for bar mill production.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics