A new boat launch ramp needed at the Lackawanna shoreline

jimski2

Since the extension of Dona Street at the traffic light there access to Smokes Creek and Lake Erie could easily made available. Some obstructing group will complain about walleyes spawning there but they still will. It is only three miles to Seneca Shoal from there. Driving to Sturgeon Point Marina or Cattaraugus Creek ramps is unnecessary for good fishing early in the season. Grid lock at the Safe Harbor ramp and parking lot will be lessened. The land under the slag piled there still belongs to New York State. With local rainfall of thirty inches a year for over thirty years any chemicals there have been flushed away. The Town of Hamburg Park ramp is useless after a few storms sand it up. Now with a new access road at Dona Street opening we have the first opportunity to access our lake front .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Less money would be needed to convert Union Ship Canal into Boat Launch ,all ready protected from wind and big parking lot there.

Since the extension of Dona Street at the traffic light there access to Smokes Creek and Lake Erie could easily made available. Some obstructing group will complain about walleyes spawning there but they still will. It is only three miles to Seneca Shoal from there. Driving to Sturgeon Point Marina or Cattaraugus Creek ramps is unnecessary for good fishing early in the season. Grid lock at the Safe Harbor ramp and parking lot will be lessened. The land under the slag piled there still belongs to New York State. With local rainfall of thirty inches a year for over thirty years any chemicals there have been flushed away. The Town of Hamburg Park ramp is useless after a few storms sand it up. Now with a new access road at Dona Street opening we have the first opportunity to access our lake front .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:08 PM, mostlymuskies said:

Less money would be needed to convert Union Ship Canal into Boat Launch ,all ready protected from wind and big parking lot there.

I agree this would make sense. All they need to do is put in a launch ramp, all the other amenities are already there. I can't believe some one has not done this already.

We have been trying to get a New Boat Launch at Union Canal,but every time we bring it up to Erie County they keep saying there is the NY State Buffalo Harbor Park Launch & Erie Basin Marina Launch. Obviously they have never looked at the crowded SBH when walleye are on,capacity used up.If they built Launch at Union Canal it could also be Permited just for Tournaments,freeing up SBH.Then the rest of the time be extra Launch on crowded days.
I will bring it back up at Erie County Fishery Advisory Board.

I agree this would make sense. All they need to do is put in a launch ramp, all the other amenities are already there. I can't believe some one has not done this already.

The last draft I seen for Buffalo Outer Harbor had then building Handicap Fishing Access Platforms on outer areas where Pier Restaurant use to be.It is 30 ft deep close to shore with old channel running along the edge from where Allan Boat Co. use to be down the Pier Restaurant Area.
I will check on this again!

A greater benefit there would be near shore fishing for non boaters. In my youth days we would out fish the boaters fishing the nearby deep waters from the shore line. Perch were really productive there in the spring time.

Please share! Exciting updates on redevelopment progress for the former Bethlehem Steel site! Join us for a public meeting Tuesday, December 17 at 6:00 p.m. in Lackawanna

The last draft I seen for Buffalo Outer Harbor had then building Handicap Fishing Access Platforms on outer areas where Pier Restaurant use to be.It is 30 ft deep close to shore with old channel running along the edge from where Allan Boat Co. use to be down the Pier Restaurant Area.
I will check on this again!

• Like 1

Yes Smokes Creek is closer , but you do realize the mouth of the creek gets almost closed off by Lake Erie sand & gravel being pushed in by prominently SW winds.Would require losts of funding to dig channel,build break walls and a accross the front break wall to stop channel from filling in.Yes Union Canal is further away but all structure walls & big parking lots are already there. Only need to build a launch ramp.Cost would be millions less!

Fishing travel distance would be shorter from the Smoke Creek site. More time and fuel will be saved. There is a lot of unused property there for parking. Oh, the fish are closer there

• Like 2

i believe the mouth of smokes creek is to shallow (3ft) it would difficult for larger deeper boats plus theres a lot of smallmouth spawning in that area also a lot people fish around there just be a bigger pain in the azz trying to get around everyone jmo

jeff

I have been at the mouth of Smokes Creek many times with a friend that has keys to get through Metro Port.We go to observe walleye spawning!Everytime I have been there the mouth of the creek is flowing over about 6" of washed in gravel.

The DEC requires the creek mouth to be kept open as part of the Flood Control Project.

Yes a New Boat Launch built in slag dump would be nice,but you need to look at reality,this is NY State we can't even get funding to repair Sturgeon Point Marina wall to keep sand bar out there.Building a complete walled in Launch will cost millions. Again Union Canal has everything but the Launch Ramps,costs would be substantially small compared to what your proposing.

The boat launch need not be in the creek . A basin can be excavated similar to Sturgeon Point with a separate lake entrance. The slag dump is on lake bottom that can be returned to open lake water that was belonging to New York State.

• Like 1

One other thing that would make SBH Launch more efficient is to have Tournament trucks & boat trailers park over in Union Canal Parking Lot and shuttle drivers to and from Launch.This would free up a big part of the Launch Parking for the rest of the general public.I have seen it so crowded some weekends in the summer just about no parking available .

Another thing that would help at the SBH is to redirect the bike/walking trail away from crossing in front of the launch ramp. We get 1/2 way up the ramp & need to stop for people crossing in front of us..  They should redirect it to cross somewhere before & away form the launch.

Then you get that one or two people that stop there truck & boat right in the middle of backing area! Proceed to take 20 minutes taking off cover,getting ropes & bumpers ready and rigging every fishing pole and setting them in rodholders.Holding everyone up to get around them,instead of getting ready in proper area ahead of time.You can't fix stupid so you need older people at entry shack that are not afraid to go direct these people!

Sturgeon Point is nothing but a sand trap as is the Hamburg site. Woodlawn Beach launched hundreds of small boats till the Town closed it off. So Southtowns boaters are stuck with long distant travel to access the lake. The Walleye Club members have their access so they are not motivated any more for access sites. The thirty mile drive to the Cattaraugus Creek sites is a waste of precious time and gasoline. Let us realize that we need something else on our Lakeside waters.

Where is this Walleye Club Access they have ,so they do not care about access? Everyone knows we need and wants more Lake Access.But living in NY State funding is a big problem,especially for building a complete marina and launch where 100's of Millions are in play.The extra drive from Woodlawn Beach to SBH is not that far in reality.

Sturgeon Point is nothing but a sand trap as is the Hamburg site. Woodlawn Beach launched hundreds of small boats till the Town closed it off. So Southtowns boaters are stuck with long distant travel to access the lake. The Walleye Club members have their access so they are not motivated any more for access sites. The thirty mile drive to the Cattaraugus Creek sites is a waste of precious time and gasoline. Let us realize that we need something else on our Lakeside waters.

17 hours ago, mostlymuskies said:

Then you get that one or two people that stop there truck & boat right in the middle of backing area! Proceed to take 20 minutes taking off cover,getting ropes & bumpers ready and rigging every fishing pole and setting them in rodholders.Holding everyone up to get around them,instead of getting ready in proper area ahead of time.You can't fix stupid so you need older people at entry shack that are not afraid to go direct these people!

I been saying that for years got to have common sense your boat should be ready to launch when its your turn

I like going to sp they guys there make sure everyone is ready and will help you if needed

jeff

One problem at SBH Launch is the Launch responsibility is part of Safe Boat Harbor Marina.They collect Launch Fees,that is not much after subtracting Empire Pass holders and Free Monday to Friday Oldtimers!They probably just cover the worker that collects fee wages.

I been saying that for years got to have common sense your boat should be ready to launch when its your turn
I like going to sp they guys there make sure everyone is ready and will help you if needed
                           jeff

When you find the funding source for a new marina & launch around Woodlawn Beach or Smokes Creek let us know! We have been trying for years to get Sturgeon Marina wall built to keep sand from filling in opening.All the parties to be have tried!SBH is only about 1/2 mile longer by boat to any of the destinations you mentioned. I give you credit your persistence toward your dreams are there,but money is not there in NY State!

It is a lot longer boat ride to Seneca Shoals, Meyers Reef, Eighteen Mile Creek, Wanakah Shoals, and Woodlawn Bay Area where the early night walleyes are. The bass fishing starts there also.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics