Emerald Shiner enigma?!

jimski2

What is going on? The Arctic Terns that breed on the breakwater have disappeared . The jumbo perch we caught are full of planktons, not minnows. The throw back perch have disappeared. Bait dealers have no emeralds. The Commercial Fishermen are not there to dump the blame on. The smelt masses are not seen. Plenty of walleyes out in 75 plus feet of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

I have noticed that there's not as many emeralds the last few years. not as many in the river in the spring for dipping. I agree that the way that the walleye population has exploded may have an effect on the baitfish. The NYSDEC Lake Erie Annual report from 2017 shows low numbers for emerald shiners since 2014.  2017 Lake Erie Annual Report: March 2018 (PDF, 5.1 MB)  But on the brighter side,  I'll take 40 million walleye any day.  As long as they keep the windmills & asian carp out of the lake, we should have great fishing for years.

there was a emerald shiner shortage long before the latest walleye explosion some years we had a good run some year not so good, I lived by the rive and grow up on the upper river , back as far as the early 60 and on it was a year to year thing. Now with that being  said, I agree that the large numbers of walleye and the refugees that take dozens and dozens of 5 gallon buckets filled to the top with no water every day in the spring are hurting the shiner population. the DEC was doing a study on why the population drops, they where looking into the water flow current speed and temp, pollution plus other thing like disease but I haven't seen any reports out. I remember in the 70's when small tanker trucks would pull to the foot of Sheridan and fill the tanks up to sell other places some out of state and that would happen almost every day in the spring. there is more to it than just what we see its not just the walleye population.  more funding and more studies are needed good luck with that.

It is definitely something that the DEC should be monitoring closely. The bottom of the food chain is very important. That said, there are other species at or near the bottom of the food chain and the issue might not be totally related to too many being taken and/or too much forage pressure. So there may be alternate forage for sport fish (like gobies) and there might be other factors that are affecting the emerald shiner population from year to year. Seasonal weather cycles could also play a roll. There has been a couple very cold winters in recent years.

• 1 month later...

So I noticed this year that when cleaning walleye and lakers out deep say July till October the fish had lots of smelt in them. I remember catching a lake trout with giant smelt in them. There where many more emeralds in Dunkirk harbor this fall then years past. Did two limits of perch out of Dunkirk this fall and they are packed with gobies. Also our early summer in tight walleye are packed with gobies. I just believe yes there is a baitfish problem but I also believe our bait is more bottom oriented because of water clarity. 

Capt. Ron

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics