Perch fishing

wojo

There are plenty of perch in 60 to 65 ft of water. Live golden shiners will do the trick. Picked up 2 dozen jumbos in less then 1/2 hr. He. We quit, had enough for eating. Also picked up 6 walleye bottom bouncing. That’s all we wanted. We are not meat hunters like most of the guys I know.

Can I ask, where did you go out of? We are over in Fort Wayne, and everyone has been telling us the Perch aren't biting yet! I figured they would be deep yet. Just not that deep! We really want to get out, so any help would be really appreciated!

We are fishing eastern end
7.5 miles from Buffalo

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 2 weeks later...

Why is everyone so tight lipped on the perch fishing? I know you guys are out there. Looking for any info on the perch out from Dunkirk. I heard there is a guy they call Captain Perch that keeps his boat in the harbor but I can't seem to run into him, Anyone know him? That's all he does is perch fish. I like to finish off the year with a switch from walleye, besides the freezer is full :emoticon-0105-wink:.

set your walleye gear out in 30 feet of water and troll until you get to 80 foot and mark waypoints on your electronics every time you mark a school of perch. pull up walleye gear and go to your waypoints for perch, simple. If you are in a hurry you should be able to search faster driving around 10 mph or less (depending on your setup) , set your ping speed to max and your cone to the wider 83 khz. if you dont leave a trail on your map, set it to leave one makes it easier to turn around and get back on them you can see where to retrace your path.  Also if your bottom thickness changes from being thick to thin or shows up a different color you might want to follow that east or west, it is a change in bottom compsition mud/clay to shale rock which is a prime area for perch. good luck

Thanks H20chrome, I have had pretty good luck in the past doing what you described but I narrowed down my search by looking in the general depth I believe they should be in. Right now though I know the water is pretty warm so I am not sure if they are is 80 feet or 60 feet. There is a lot of area to search so I was looking for info as to the depth to begin searching. (I know finding them is part of the fun but don't want to waste too much time doing it)

Aug 26 the member on here named wojo posted he was catching perch in 20 fow off sturgeon point, you could be looking too deep, thats why i put the starting range to 30 theres some structure there and starts dropping off at 30 if you look at navionics. i have never perch fished out of dunkirk but i would long line a 30' tail dancer heading straight out toward the 54' hole until i found them. gotta remember there are already steelhead in the catt when thinking about water temperatures, other fish push back towards shore during fall also

Edited by H20chrome

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics