Opening day Buffalo/Hamburg

I'm not sure what tournament it was. But it was a pain in the butt launching the boat at the sbh. They didn't start fishing until about 8 this morning which I though was crazy. Lots of Canadian boats. Looked like everyone was heading past sturgeon point

well we started fishing around 8 ;00 am  fished a few areas off hamburg towards Wanaka lots of bass boats all over the place no eyes we made a run to Meyers to check out the sand flats and boy we found the perch my first  triple header  we quit at 75  and we were still pulling doubles a good save for the day I think the water still a tad chilly   a few more weeks for the daytime bite to kick in   yellowpike:emoticon-0102-bigsmile:

13138913_10208456330398332_154816809070026259_n.jpg

Edited by yellowpike
  • Like 1

On May 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM, yellowpike said:

ill be sat morning fishing the Transition areas I fish every year not far from the nighttime spots just a little deeper there are few areas within a few hundred yard away good luck out there guys should be a good opener  I hope    YELLOWPIKE     ps last years opening day we box out by 11:00

11025630_10205883244832801_4219172891011457926_n.jpg

Nice box of eyes Yellowpike, gotta love your title, that's what the Canadians call Em, don't hear that term much anymore!! Tight lines to you and all the eye guys out there!!!

Sure is.  "Yellow pike" is a term almost all of the old timers used when talking "walleye."  Not to be confused with "blue pike" which was a fish near & dear to the hearts of the old-timers.  I remember my father fishing with my uncle all night off Van Buren Point & catching enough blues to fill half the bathtub full.  They would tell me that they'd throw the "yellows" back in & keep the blues because they tasted so much better.

i was too young to go out on the boat like they did but the blues what what most fishermen brought in.

• Like 1

You got that right, Yellowpike.  He had an old canvas bag with a couple of holes in the bottom.  They would use that to keep their catch.  The bag would get dipped & hung over the side. The evaporating water would keep it cool.

My dad would tell me they fished for blues with a drop line.  One guy rowed with oars, the other manned the hand-held drop lines & spreader from the stern with a minnow on each hook.  Hang the Coleman lantern over the side to attract bugs, give one or two strokes with the oars, & the guy in the stern would work the hand-held.  I'd wake up in the morning & see the old claw-foot tub half filled with blues.

He & my uncle would go to Van Buren Point with their 2-1/2 hp Blue Streak & rent a wooden Penn Yan with lapstrake hull from Eddie Ball. First time he would take me in a boat was when I was 10 yrs old & that wooden boat was the best ride I ever had in a boat.  That was life growing up in Lackawanna!!

Dammmmm, those were good days!

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to fish for blue pike.There were plenty of boat rental boat liveries along our shores. You had to reserve a boat a week ahead if you wanted to fish the weekend. My dad always a reserve a boat( which at that time was 2.00, He had a 5 hp. Firestone motor , which he bought ar the Lucky Urbans on Broadway.. We would go every Friday night , bring home 200 plus blues. My mother would get up when we got home . And help scale fish. My father never filleted them. We only had a small freezer,in our fridge. So they would wrap them in newspaper and give them to the neighbors, then drive to Bennington to give our relation.

Driving along the lake at night, it was lantern city. Two lanterns on on each side of the boat. Multiply by a couple hundred boats. There where three reasons why you quit fishing.. 1.High winds 2. Ran out of bIt, 3 had enough fish for the night.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics